All Corsa Forum banner

HID fitting guide to a Corsa B

12K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  LAD VXL 
#1 ·
This is a guide on how to fit HID convertion kit to a Corsa B with angel eyes.

The angel eyes use 2 seperate bulbs, one for dipped beam and one for main beam. These angel eyes use a H1 bulb for dipped (other angel eyes may use other H bulbs so check before you buy your kit)

First thing to do is remove the bumper to gain access to the inner wheel arches and allow you to remove the head lights.

To remove the bumper you need to undo the 9 bolts that secure it to the car. There are 3 along the bottom edge of the bumper that secure it to the cross member (1 in the centre and other 2 next to the tie bar brackets), 2 in the bottom corners where the mud guard meets the bumper, 2 in the wheel arch near the top and 2 where the grill meets the slam panel.

This is how it should look so far

Next you need to remove the head light ( 2 very obvious bolts) and replace the standard halogen bulb with the new HID bulb and secure it in place with the clip (HID bulb is slightly wider so becareful when fitting and is harder to clip back on) .

You also need to cut a bit out of the head light to allow the HID bulb wire to exit the head light (you can also drill a hole and use a gromit if you wish)

You now need to plug the ballast wires in to the dipped beam wires, like so

You can know refit the headlight and plug the HID bulb wires into the ballast of the HID kit.

Now you need to fit the brackets that hold the ballast securly to the car. We chose to put them in the inner wing area so they are protected from the elements by the bumper and splash guard. Make sure the conectors are at the bottom to help prevent them holding water.

On the passanger side its nice and accessable. Bend the top of the bracket and hold in place so you can mark the 2 holes. Remove bracket and drill the holes. The top hole will need a self tapping screw as there is no accesss to the back of the hole but you can use a nut and bolt for the bottom one.

This is the bracket fitted on the passanger side

See less See more
#2 ·
Now the drivers side which is not so straight forward.

First you need to undo the clip that secures the pipe to the air box and undo the screw that secures the inlet pipe to the slam panel and any other pipes that are on the airbox need to be disconnected so you can completely remove it.

That will leave a big hole like this

To fit this bracket you need to bend the top the same as the other side and position it so the top hole will be under the front airbox securing bracket, you will need to remove the rubber bush so you can drill the hole, like this

You will need to use self tapping screws on both holes to secure it. Here is the bracket fitted

Now you can slide the ballast into the brackets and plug the 2 leads in. 1 lead will come from the headlight and plug into the ballast and the other flying lead from the ballast plugs into the HID bulb wires.

Passanger side

Drivers side

#8 ·
Nice post Laura and may I say the lights look stunning :eek: Should really do this to my car but not priority atm, at least I know where to look for a guide for future reference.

Well done :thumbs_up:

#9 ·
i don't like aftermarkt xenon light..

the problem is if you have a bumpy road you can damaged it.. inside ballest

#11 · (Edited)
Thats why we went to the hassle of removing the bumper so we could put them in a secure place firmly fixed to the body ;)

im fairly certain that HID headlamps must have a provision for cleaning the headlamp (wipers / washer jets) to pass an MOT test, ill post back up when i find out.
I've never heard of that :confused: I sure new cars have been built with HID's as standard with no washers :confused:

Be interested to know officially though :thumbs_up:

#14 · (Edited)
well.. that doesn't matter.. the shock you can have on the road.. can break the (don't know how to write it.. it's the glue that's inside a tree).. and if that break's you can buy a new one..

maybe if you made something with a spring that reduce the shock that would help..

btw..
it my country if a care com's from the factory(after 2007) and it has xeno on it,it need wipers, sprinkler system and the lamp can change to the top or to the bottom

#16 ·
ok folks, it is a legal requirement for an 'aftermarket' HID conversion kit to have a provision for cleaning the headlamp outer lens (aka washers) and it will definitely fail an MOT test without them.

the good news is, its not that hard to do. Just drill a hole through the top of the bumper on each side under the headlights, fit your washer jets and pipe them to the washer motor (front or rear will do) making sure you've got a check-valve in the pipes near the jets so you don't drain all your washer fluid when you aren't using them.

#20 ·
ok folks, it is a legal requirement for an 'aftermarket' HID conversion kit to have a provision for cleaning the headlamp outer lens (aka washers) and it will definitely fail an MOT test without them.
Where exactly did you get this information Deathscythe? is it in the mot hand book?

#17 ·
Thanks Deathscythe our mine of information :thumbs_up:

Guess i've just become the proud owner of an illegal car then coz i'll be buggared if im doin that. What so NO car thats had HID's fitted has passed its MOT...Rubbish! Theres a hell of a lot of people that have done the convertion, my Lee included and was no problem for him in his MOT

#18 ·
My guess is that it depends on either how strict the tester is, or even if they know of that law.

#21 · (Edited)
i checked it up in the MOT handbook and talked to one of my mates there, he's the head MOT tester so its pretty accurate.

at the end of the day, it is down to the tester and even the reputability of the test station, a good test station isn't one that passes everything (then ther'd be unsafe cars all over the place). i think the point of that rule from the handbook is for more of a safety point-of-view. thinking about it, when cars come from the factory with HID lights, the headlights are designed to be compatible with them so that road crud doesn't influence the beam pattern so much, or you might be inadvertently blinding people while going round bends etc.
because normal headlights aren't designed to control the beam pattern that way (i.e. that weird yellow-blue effect at certain angles of the beam pattern) then it needs to have some way to clean the crud off the lens, so washer jets are a fairly easy way of doing that.

personally, i'd think it'd be a good idea to fit the washer jets, it might save you from blinding somebody into driving onto your side of the road at night.

#22 ·
Thanks Deathscythe :thumbs_up:

Hope you realise i wasn't doubting you at all or arguing with you, just tried searching but couldn't find it anywhere and it seems daft.

when we changed the bulbs we marked the beam pattern before and after and it was exactly the same as you can see from the pics actually. We are going to get them checked at the garage at the weekend anyway just because we should but looking at them i dont understand what the difference is...it already states in your highway code that you must keep you headlights clean so whats the difference?

#23 · (Edited)
yeah i think its one of these 'disclaimer rules' that crops up here and there in the MOT handbook.

with the beam pattern, thats formed with both the inner and outer lenses.
the basic pattern is formed with the inner lens and doesnt really change, but the difference with HID bulbs is that they make 2x different 'phases' of light which change depending on the way they pass through the outer lens.
thats why on some cars equipped with HID's that are following you or coming towards you, the headlamps seem to flicker between yellow and white light.

modern headlamps that are used in a range of a car which features HID's as an optional extra might have a slightly different pattern on the outer lens (which sometimes explains why some HID-fitted cars don't have washer jets, the lens corrects the crud-factor).
the problem i can see is that standard-issue headlamps might not have the right lenses to cope with the crud (these are general-purpose 'fits-any-car' kits after all) so the MOT tester / copper might not look too kindly down on them. better safe than sorry, and those headlamp washers are useful for spraying dogs trying to take a piss on your car!

i'm not the type to argue with people, personally i want HID headlights and it was interesting and useful to me and people interested here to find this stuff out :thumbs_up:

#24 ·
i'm not the type to argue with people, personally i want HID headlights and it was interesting and useful to me and people interested here to find this stuff out :thumbs_up:
Good man ;) Ive got a lot of respect for you and your semingly endless pot of knowledge :thumbs_up:

Well i got to see how good they are on the way to work this morning and i must say having them correctly aligned is very important. They are so much brighter and if they were set too high could be a hazard to other drivers...

Mine are set so if i'm driving a good distance behind some one they illuminate as high as the numberplate then stop, so when your out and some gits lights are shining into your care making you tilt your rear view mirror...it ain't me :laugh:

Deathscythe, do you think it makes a difference what type of lights they are fitted in? like mine are projector lights... but i would think they wouldnt be as good in normal lights, do you even fit into normal headlights?

#25 ·
i guess they should fit ok in normal headlights, just the amount that the light spreads out after leaving the headlight would be different, more spread out to the sides than a projector headlight would put out, which would be useful if the area you live in has loads of country roads with blind corners, high hedges etc. on the road they should be about the same, but projectors do look smarter than standard headlamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.