All Corsa Forum banner

Replacing starter motor

61K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tamhay 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to: Replace starter motor

this is my first go at this so here it goes...

For changing a starter motor the tools you will need are:
10mm spanner
13mm long socket
Extension piece
Ratchet
10 mm socket
Rubber mallet (in case it needs a tap to free it)

Oh and a new starter motor, most come as an exchange unit so when you remove the old one the place you buy it give you an exchange fee back. :thumbs_up:

Step one:
Disconnect the car battery

Step two:
Jack up the car and put it on axel stands, I also like to put a board or sheet down to lie on.

Step three:
From under the car you need to be looking near where the gear linkage is, it is hard to see but once you get in the right position you can see the bottom wire (red) and the smaller wire on the 10mm nut. On the starter motor flange you will notice the bottom retaining bolt.
Here is the bottom bolt, 13mm long socket

Here is the bottom wire (red) nut and spring washer being removed, 13mm long socket

Here you can see the 10mm nut and flat washer holding in the small wire

Step four:
Now is the difficult task of the top retaining double ended bolt with earth wire. This requires feeling on top/behind of the starter, you are feeling for a nut on a threaded bar. Once it has been located use the 13mm long socket, extension bar and ratchet and feel your way on to the 13mm nut, remove this to free the earth wire, extract the nut & spring washer (keep them safe) then put the socket back on and you will find another nut/bolt further down the threaded bar. Remove this and extract the double ended bolt.
Here is how to feel for the nut

Step five:
Give the starter motor a tap with the mallet, if required. Then extract the starter motor, you do this by pulling it to the driver's side of the engine and drop the back end down and remove the motor. It should easily pass past the drive shaft.

Step six:
Check the ring gear; this is done by taking the spark plugs out and putting the car in a high gear. Now spin the wheels forward, you need to do both at the same time (you may need a assistant) move them a bit and then feel in the starter motor hole, you will feel the teeth on the fly wheel now you just need to feel they are all still there and not damaged. So you feel, turn the wheels. Feel. Turn the wheels. Like that till you have felt the entire fly wheel.

Step seven:
Old next to new

These are the fixing parts you should have, see what I mean by a double ended bolt.

Having ascertained that the fly wheel is fine, just install the new motor in the reverse of how you removed it, I like do the bottom retaining bolt first but with plenty of play to help locate the top hole. Its just to hold it in place while you feel around for the top hole.
Once it's all in and the wires are reinstated you need to replace the spark plugs and battery and give it a start. Should start fine now.
Sorted! :banana::congrats::banana::congrats:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Right got all the tools, jacked my car up ready to do the job today, but I just cant get anywhere near that rear out of view bolt, there is a lead in my way initially which has leads going to the motor then off to the alternator and then to a type of connected that seems to sit in a cradle type of arrangement with a 90 degree plug fitting coming off that. When I try to feel behind motor for this blind 13mm nut I get nowhere near it as there is too much stuff blocking my fingers! I cant imagine how anyone can get this removed/replaced easily. My Corsa is a 57 plate 1.4SXi

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Right just gone and bought the Haynes manual for my car, and for my problem its about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.