All Corsa Forum banner

smokey exhaust

716 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  small9918 
#1 ·
ok exhaust is smoking a fair bit smells like a cross between oil and running rich. now the car has always burnt oil like most x16xes verging on 100k. but never enough to cause major problems. curently the EGR needs cleaning out (causing eml to come on) could this be causing the extra smoke and rich smell???

#4 ·
manifold went well mate made the diffrence i was hoping although i do think maybe the fact the lamber sensor is in a diffrent place may be contributing to it :) im realy that botherd just makes me car look like a pile of donky **** when i pull away from the light and i get a ploom of greyey blueey whity smoke..

and taurus. yea i have checked the fault codes and just comes up with the egr so guess it cant be much else ill have a go at cleaning the egr out this weekend and see how it goes.

#9 ·
I wouldn't reckon much to the magic lotion approach. You can either take the head off, or you can stuff thin soft twine into each cylinder to hold the valves shut and use a tool that allows you to release the valve springs without actually taking the head off. I think I've seen Machine Mart sell them in the past, but not recently. Obviously you have to raise each piston one at a time to compress the twine, but it's been done by some guys quite effectively. Saves the hassle and cost of taking the head off.

#11 ·
I went looking for the tool I'd seen. It was something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-59...078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item415815aa36

The snag is that modern 16v cylinder heads have deep seated valves and the access is very narrow. So you might find this doesn't fit into the holes where the valves are.

I had to buy another compressor with a 23mm head to get at the valves on the 1.2 I've just done. There's several kits on ebay with a variety of smaller heads, but they are all the type where you need to have the head off.

In terms of the twine I'd think something like soft nylon thread would be best, it wouldn't compress so much.

Personally whenever I've done stem seals I've taken the head off because if they've been leaking for a while you need to clean the backs of the valve heads anyway, and at the kind of mileage you're looking at it's also worth lapping the valves in again.

#12 ·
yea the anoying thing is ive just had the head replaced because of cam belt slippage. i was told the head i replaced it with had been re conned and there was a recipt to prove but im starting to think ive been had as the cams are quite tappy aswell im currently building up a x16xe to drop in in a year or two when i can afford the insurance on a higher spec engine im just looking to get this one through the next year or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.