All Corsa Forum banner

How To: Adjust your clutch cable

162K views 104 replies 68 participants last post by  lankyman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 ·
I used to have to redo this about once every 2 months because it kept slipping back down the thread, Ollie looks like your retaining clip is missing like mine was (it goes the other side of the nut) so you may have the same problem as I did, but you can get them from Vauxhall for 57p.

#5 ·
Can I just make a note that on the corsa sports, the secondary air pump is in the way. It can be moved aside by undoing the 2 nuts holding the bracket on.

#9 ·
Hey guys, I know this topic is old now, but I figured it would be better to post here than to make another new topic.

I think something is wrong with my clutch. The bite point is really low (always has been, and that makes the car nice and easy to drive) but, lets say I try and pull away, the engine will keep revving until the pedal is released completely. I mean, the car will start moving, because the bite point is low, but it sounds like, from listening to the engine, that the clutch doesnt engage properly until right at the end of travel. That leaves me with no free play of the clutch at any end of travel. Now, would adjusting the clutch in the way mentioned above help, and if so, which way do I turn the bolt?

Or is it time for a whole new clutch? (please say no, Ive just spend over 100 quid on new tyres, the cars pulling to one side (think tracking needs sorting...), and now theres a click from the steering column when I turn at slow speeds... the cars been ultra-reliable until now).

#15 ·
Yep.

#13 ·
Moonbeam said that I needed a new clutch, and I am now inclined to agree with him, because my car is noticeably different to drive recently, and it isnt pulling away as quickly. I think my chavvy wheelspinning days :)() and driving through the peak district with a totally full car has taken its toll on the clutch.

So, what kind of price am I looking at for a new one? The lowest Ive been quoted so far is £150. Corsa B LS 1.2 8V.

#16 ·
hi, my clutch pedal keeps moving down, and i need 2 adjust the nut on the cable every 2-3 weeks otherwise it feels hard 2 drive... i went to a vauxhall dealer today and bought a "clip" for 59p, but the guy said he had no idea how to fit it, and where to put it.... can anyone help? its a corsa b 1.2 8v LS. cheers.

#17 ·
Scroll up to the bottom pic posted, you fit it in one of the threads grooves where the top red circle is. So it rests against the lever.

They don't really do much. You may be better off sticking on an extra nut and tightening it up the the other one to stop movement.

#18 · (Edited)
Clutch Adjustment - Cavalier too

Hello, I'm new on here.

I'd just like to say that was an excellent and simple guide above and it also worked on my 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier!

My gear change wasn't right since I took the car in to have a new clutch cable fitted. I had to push the clutch pedal hard all the way down in order to get it into first gear. Unfortunately, as usual, the Haynes manual explanation was completely baffling and useless. I just came across the explanation above and noticed the assembly was the same as my Cavalier.

Thanks for that.:)

#19 ·
Hello, I'm new on here.

I'd just like to say that was an excellent and simple guide above and it also worked on my 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier!

My gear change wasn't right since I took the car in to have a new clutch cable fitted. I had to push the clutch pedal hard all the way down in order to get it into first gear. Unfortunately, as usual, the Haynes manual explanation was completely baffling and useless. I just came across the explanation above and noticed the assembly was the same as my Cavalier.

Thanks for that.:)
Glad it was easy to use mate, it was the first (and only) tutorial iv done, nice and easy job and saves some money

#21 ·
lol, no worries fella. Was pretty funny. Was out in my car y'day for work and found it hard getting it into gears, had a guy from work in the car aswell so i said to him 'hold on mate, just gotta pull into tesco and adjust my clutch cable' he looked at me like i was mad,lol.

Got out, popped the bonnet and adjusted the clutch, drove away sweet as a peach,lol

Glad i could help

#25 ·
Hey there, great guide.

Just a quick question though, I don't suppose anyone knows the thread size of that bar? (have a corsa B) I'd like to put a nylon nut on the end of it to stop my clutch cable from slipping, the actual cable is in good condition but the plastic thread seems to have worn so much that i'm having to adjust it every week/two weeks.

Don't really want to fork out for a new cable as it's in good order, no signs of corrosion so this seems like a nice simple fix to me :thumbs_up:

#26 ·
What is the screw thing placed just above the cable sticking out the gearbox with a spring? cheers and also im finding it hard to find reverse in mine i had a new clutch fitted but i havent got my corsa on the road yet its a little project of mine! i was messing with that little screw thing and it crunched into reverse! ive adjusted my clutch cable so the pedal sits just above the brake pedal! what else can i do?

#27 ·
Make another thread in the relevant section if you require help.

#31 ·
Thanks for the helpfully pics..saved me some money!

Just wondering though..I got a 99 1.6 corsa sport and even though I keep adjusting the clutch cable like your diagrams (normally once a week) the low gears (1,2 and reverse) gradually become harder to engage until I have to turn off the engine, put it in gear, then start it again. At that point I have to tighten the clutch again! I'm fast running out of adjustment and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the problem?
Surely it can't need a new clutch as it isnt slipping at all. I've read some places that the gear linkage is rubbish on these models..any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.