All Corsa Forum banner

Front wipers not working

22K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Js9400 
#1 ·
My wife has a 03 corsa c.she drove out in this snow today and all was well but she said whilst driving the wind scream front wipers just stopped working.
The motor works as I put 12v to the motor and it worked OK.the fuses all look good,and the rear wiper is OK.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Hi there i think if the rear wiper is working the fuse and supply to the switch should be ok....you say if you apply power to the motor the wipers work normally......so i would be thinking along the lines of a faulty wiper switch or a problem with the BCM, trouble is this weather if the blades get stuck to the screen and you turn them on anything can happen....i would check for a 12 volt supply to the motor when you turn the switch on and off. does it work on fast or intermittent..? from Fred in Essex.

#3 ·
His mate, yer I put a 12v battery to the wiper motor and it worked so I don't think it's a motor issue,
I took the switch off the steering and took the switch apart but to the eye it looks like it's making contact but I've noticed the switch isn't a standard on off switch, it uses resistors on each different position which I'm guessing that the control unit translates then sends a comand to may be a relay?

I don't really know how to test such a switch without knowing what resistance I should get at each position. Not sure how I can test the control module or relay either to be honest 😯

#4 ·
No well you wont be able to test the BCM, but you can test to see what it does, if you get totally stuck i will have a look at circuit in Haynes Manual, the switch shouldn't really have resistors on?...the speed is usually done by selecting different brushes on the motor, what i would personalty do is get a 12 volt circuit tester and turn the ignition on and see if any of the wiper motor wires are live, if not turn them on to slow and check again, then fast and check again, and on delay, its not likely that the switch would fail on all 3 positions....i have a feeling with that, that the wiper switch operated the BCM, and the output from that works the motor.....there might be a relay involved somewhere.....from Fred in Essex.

His mate, yer I put a 12v battery to the wiper motor and it worked so I don't think it's a motor issue,
I took the switch off the steering and took the switch apart but to the eye it looks like it's making contact but I've noticed the switch isn't a standard on off switch, it uses resistors on each different position which I'm guessing that the control unit translates then sends a comand to may be a relay?

I don't really know how to test such a switch without knowing what resistance I should get at each position. Not sure how I can test the control module or relay either to be honest 😯

#7 ·
Well I might have cured it now, I got a 2nd hand wiper unit from a breakers and so far this isn't blowing fuses, bit early to say for sure though.
My reconning was the switch in the motor was may be shorting out as the motor only drew about 6 amps when I bridged the power direct to the motor.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know if it didn't work though

#12 ·
My wife has a 03 corsa c.she drove out in this snow today and all was well but she said whilst driving the wind scream front wipers just stopped working.
The motor works as I put 12v to the motor and it worked OK.the fuses all look good,and the rear wiper is OK.

Any ideas?
I've replaced the motor and the the linkege and the stalk and I've checked the fewses I cant find the problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.