All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys,got a corsa b 1.0 12v,engine managment lights on,had it in at the garage,put 3 diagnostic machines onto it,none of them are picking up fault codes.Engine runs sweet as a nut first thing in a morning but as ive been driving it for a while it looses power,jumps and judders around,and the occasional cutting out,the temperature gauge doesn't rise,as though its over heating,it just stays at normal operating temp.

the eml is on from the second you turn the key,but as i say runs sweet when the engines cold...again not picking up any codes. :shocked:

cam and crankshaft sensors have been replaced,but still no joy :confused:
im well untruly lost and not sure what to try next
any help is appreciated,need the car running reliable as possible as im due to start an aprenteship about 30 miles...one way :palm:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
First thought would be to try a new coolant temperature sensor - the one that sits on the top of the water pump. (ie on the front of the timing cover.)

If they fail then the ECU thinks the engine is cold so it keeps the fuel/air mix rich. Hence you get good cold starting, but problems once warm.

You don't need to go to Vx for one - any decent factors, or AutoVaux. Should be less than a tenner and it's a simple job to replace it. So start with that and see how it goes.

If the EML is on then there will be fault codes present - some of the 12v engines are a bugger to get codes off though, so maybe their equipment just isn't communicating with the ECU.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi taurus,thanks for a quick reply.
i will try the temprature sensor,as you stated 'the one that sits on the top of the water pump',im guessing there is more than one sensor to control the temprature?
have you got any ideas to recive the stored codes off the ecu,i could try evrey code reader made,but that would be time comsuming and wont be cheap :laugh:

thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
There is more than one temperature sensor. The CTS tells the ECU when the coolant is hot so it leans the fuel/air mix and works out ignition timing for the leaner fuel mix.

Then there is the sender for the temp. gauge - I think it's on the EGR valve housing on yours.

Then there is a thermoswitch in the side of the radiator. That switches the cooling fan on when the engine gets too hot. (You can override this by simply fitting a switch across the two wires running to it, which allows you to manually turn the fan on if you get stuck in a jam.)

To read the codes on these I use opcom. You buy the USB lead and download the software. I use http://opcom.weebly.com/ - not the cheapest, but good aftersales support. It's a guy off VVOC. It is a good DIY system which will read/delete codes, run live date checks on sensors, relays, temperatures etc, and also allows you to trigger things like the fuel pump relay or the egr valve if you want to test things.

It can also reprogramme keys and check the real mileage as recorded by the ecu.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
useful infomation there! would it be possible to source a picture/link to the temp sensor that sits on top of the water pump ?
thankyou

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
This is the 1.2 version of the engine, but the CTS is the same,

the cream coloured sensor on the right of the photo

a bit wider angle to show location

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that,great help,although mines a 1.0 3cylinder,would there be any differance as to where the sensor is? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
olreet fella's....printed off this thread,and handed the sheets of paper to the guy who is currently "fixing" my car,he said he has never heard of the TCS to go on a corsa,however he said theres a possible chance of that been the problem.
i will let you know how it all goes :)
watch this space!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts