All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

i have a problem with my corsa 1.0l life 55 plate.
when im driving its fine for the first 5 mins or so then i accelerate to 4000ish revs then change to second gear and the engine management light flashes and the car judders and its hard to accelerate. i had a full service about 2000 miles ago and it passed its m.o.t on the same day.
iv checked the oil levels and its fine.
i know nothing about engines so please try to give answers in layman's terms.

thanks everone.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Without seeing the car the best we can do is to take an educated guess. The most common cause for problems with acceleration is the Air Flow Meter AFM). This measures the air coming into the engine so the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) knows how to adjust the fuel/air mix. If the AMF is faulty the mix is out and poor acceleration is the result.

The fact that it only happens once the car is warmed up a bit tends to confirm this as when it is cold the ECU will richen the mix. So it is when the mix is leaned out that the problem occurs.

One way to check is to disconnect the AFM - the ECU thinks it has failed completely and goes into limp home mode. The engine will run, just not as well. The point is that it ought to run consistently. If it does you know the AFM is dud.

The only solution is to replace it, and buy a good quality one, not a cheapo version. The cheap ones cause too many problems.

If you want to know what to look for then search ebay the AFM for your car and you'll get a picture to look for. It's on the intake. Better still, treat yourself to a Haynes manual. It will pay for itself many times over.

One other thing. Have you got a standard air filter on yours? The 1.0litre engine is a bit inclined to eat the AFM if you fit an none standard air filter system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts