All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone.Hope someone can help me withthis odd problem,
When i turn the ignition to position 1 all the usual warning lights come on but the battery light goes out almost immediately before i crank the engine.When i drove home from work yesterday (about half an hour) and then tried the ignition, the battery light came on as usual and stayed on as normal.However this morinng i had the same thing with the battery light going out before starting.I fired the car up and drove a few yards and the battery light flickered a few times (witrh relay clicking sound).
The alternator is less than 3 years old and the heavy duty battery is less than 2 yars old.
The car cranks with good power so the battery seems to be ok.
Any ideas what might be the cause?

One thing to mention is that when i drive on wet roads the alternator light comes on for a short while before going out again.It has always done this.

I'd be grateful for any info.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fred.Many thanks for dropping me a reply.I do have a multimeter and will do the checks at lunctime.I recall when i had the new alternator the garage said it had to be the expensive one as it runs a vacuum pump or something.Odd that it should work noramlly when i'd driven it for half an hour then went back to going out again tis morning.I think i need to do allthe connection checks you suggested by getting it up on ramps in the morning and checking all the connections/mountings etc.a big squirt of WD40 a good idea as well? regards Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fred, ha ha yes raining here in Oxfod as well!
I have just been and put a multimeter across th battery (cold) and it read 11.58 volts.i started the engine (started well) and gradually the reading increased to 13.35 volts/ran it for 10 muntes and then turned it off and turned the ignition back on..alternator light went straight out again.i havent checked the alternator connections yet as it's out on the road and peeing it down.i'll leave that particular pleasure until tomorrow morning in the driveway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Fred,this little van has lawys had a fre foibles i nthe alternator dept.Thats why i ended up replacing the alternator, battery and starter motor a couple of years ago.i had a battery from a local factors as an urgent replacement and the garage said it was the battery and the factors said it was the alternator.In the end the garage insisted the new alternator they fitted was ok and i bought a new decent heavy duty battery from Hlafords.from that point everything was ok..happy days.!this alternator light has only started misbehaving this week when i'd driven to work on the A34 which had a lot of spray.The car starts fine o nthe battery even though it's sitting at 11.58 volts whenm cold.

thanks
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.