All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise whether it is possible to upgrade the wheel size to 18" on the new corsa d without having to mess around with the suspension height etc for them to fit and look comfortable in the arches, without spoiling the drive of the car. I have only ordered the 1.2 engine design but have gone for the uprated suspension option with 17's at the moment if that helps with advice.:eek: sorry for being a dippy woman but would like to pimp up my ride a little when I eventually get it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
what's the original size the corsa d's run on?

but wouldn't think it would cause too much of a problem, only thing im wary of is the drag going to be too much for the 1.2??

·
Registered
713 Posts
yeah but she also said thats an optional extra, so not what the standard corsa d runs on, being an optional extra, would suggest that Vauxhall deems that 17"s could perhaps be the biggest that would fit without modifying other elements perhaps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
standard wheel size on D

The standard size on the Corsa D is a 16" Thats what the SXi is fitted with, the upgrade option takes it to 17". I was only asking the question because I've seen the VXR runs on 17 as standard with 18's as the upgrade. (I know this is an all singing all dancing souped up engine but I don't know if that makes a difference when selecting wheel size, which is why I'm asking for advice).

I know that performance wise the 1.2 engine may be a little underpowered but I don't need to race arouns like a loon or feel the need to boot it and have instant pick up. I only do short journeys so performance isn't really at the top of my agenda, but I would like it to look the part so any physical mods (Not too radical to start with) that I could do without making the car any slower I would be interested in. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other thing is that the steering is obviously power assisted but it also says that it is progressive variable rate on the 17" upgrade option, is this something that has been added to help minimise the drag and will this have been setup specifically for the 17's, if so, would messing around changing to
18's cause me problems. (Is it worth it for 1")

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
You dont buy a 1.2 corsa for performance so it doesnt matter. There are alot slower cars on the road anyway its not likes its a 1.2 corsa B in which case its different. I cant see you having any problems fitting 18s on your corsa, aslong as they have a good offset, the only thing is when you fit larger wheels it increases the ride height so it looks kinda jacked up. I dont know anything about corsa Ds but are you sayin that with bigger wheels fitted at the factory the car is also fitted with a different/modified PAS system?

·
Registered
713 Posts
the only real problem i can think you'll have then is just extra fuel consumtion due to the extra drag from the tyres and just generally getting the wheels to move, along with a slightly bigger strain on the engine (although this will probably be minimal). as for the steering, (dont quote me on this) but it sounds like its an extra "nicety" type of thing which is like a computerised set of sensors which help correct oversteer/understeer problems, if it thinks a certain instance has arisen, im finding it hard to explain but the new mini i learnt to drive in had something like that on, so wouldnt be affected by a different wheel size.

to sum up, i'd just say the only downsides to having the 18"s, is slight increase in petrol consumption and slight loss in power output and increased engine labour, along with what Clutch said about it looking higher up in the air.

if it were me i'd probably look round for another set of 17"s, but curious as to if your planning on changing the alloys, why did you go for the option of having 17"s fitted when theyre going to be changed straightaway?

·
Registered
696 Posts
karen just stick em on love, none of this drag really matter, if we want speed we buy a vxr :) iv learnt that over the years

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Thing is the 1.2 corsa feels underpowered already, so slowing it down even more cant help anything IMO.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Now people are just being picky, 1.2 corsa D do not lack power and are perfectly capable iv driven one so i should know, You wont even notice and increase in full comsumption. If all what is said that bad why hasnt it been puttin on every other thread regarding wheels on this forum.

Your car will be fine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
it does happen on every car with bigger wheels than factory fitted ones :shocked: i was merely stating it thats all....just simple common physics....didnt mean to scaremonger was simply saying thats all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the only real problem i can think you'll have then is just extra fuel consumtion due to the extra drag from the tyres and just generally getting the wheels to move, along with a slightly bigger strain on the engine (although this will probably be minimal). as for the steering, (dont quote me on this) but it sounds like its an extra "nicety" type of thing which is like a computerised set of sensors which help correct oversteer/understeer problems, if it thinks a certain instance has arisen, im finding it hard to explain but the new mini i learnt to drive in had something like that on, so wouldnt be affected by a different wheel size.

to sum up, i'd just say the only downsides to having the 18"s, is slight increase in petrol consumption and slight loss in power output and increased engine labour, along with what Clutch said about it looking higher up in the air.

if it were me i'd probably look round for another set of 17"s, but curious as to if your planning on changing the alloys, why did you go for the option of having 17"s fitted when theyre going to be changed straightaway?
On the Corsa Design you only get standard suspension, this is supposed to be their cream cake model, you get lots of other little nicetys/luxuries compared with the lower models, but I liked the stiffer drive of the SXi on my previous car which has a slighty uprated sports suspension by comparison to the standard sus that was on my corsa comfort before that, so the upgrade option was taken mainly because I wanted the sports suspension and lower ride. The 17" alloys are fitted with "ultra low profile tyres" and the suspension is uprated and lowered by 20mm. (this is Probably a negligable drop) I'm not really up on stuff like that.. but I don't think the "ultra" low profile is totally correct either, the wheels are 17" twin spoke alloys with 215/45 R17 profile tyres... again its straight out of the book and I'm totally lost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You dont buy a 1.2 corsa for performance so it doesnt matter. There are alot slower cars on the road anyway its not likes its a 1.2 corsa B in which case its different. I cant see you having any problems fitting 18s on your corsa, aslong as they have a good offset, the only thing is when you fit larger wheels it increases the ride height so it looks kinda jacked up. I dont know anything about corsa Ds but are you sayin that with bigger wheels fitted at the factory the car is also fitted with a different/modified PAS system?
It seems that way, again I'm straight out of the manual here but apparantly the speed sensitive steering I think is perhaps a gimmicky thing that helps turning when driving at low speeds for parking etc. (is this what people are talking about when they mention drag)? but it also says that the setup is tuned to the specific engine to ensure optimum assistance, the progressive rate variable ratio system it says is supposed to offer a sportier response... but again we're only talking 1.2 16v here so every little helps..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would just like to thank everyone for their comments so far. I've been lucky in that I've always had new or nearly new cars and have always been afraid to mess around with mods previously in case I did something that would upset the warranty, thats why I have tried to tailor my next car a little better straight from the factory to minimise what mods I would need to do to acheive a look and drive that I was comfortable with. I know that the smaller engined car isn't everyones cup o tea, but since owning the corsa's I've always had the 1.2 16V engine and have been happy with it, so it works for me... Once agin thank you all, and I will definately consider the 18's when I get the car. I'll post some pics of it as it comes first, and then assess comments to see where to go from there.. Unfortunately I still gotta wait a while for it though, now told its gonna be Dec before I get.

·
Registered
713 Posts
yeah the steering system sounds like as i'd described it, its an onboard computer system that assesses how fast the car is going, and how much the steering has been turned, and corrects any oversteer/understeer that it thinks may have occurred, doesnt take control over the steering but it applies brakes to one side of the car and supplies more power to the opposing wheel to "pull" the car back into what it considers a better turn etc. again, another nicety over the standard variants.

as for the plan of going for those options on the car, and the reasons behind them, personally cant fault them, makes sense to do it like that :thumbs_up:

having read this thread a second time round, i cant see a problem with 18"s fitting and looking ok. i'll admit i was perhaps being a tad too picky when i criticised it, so apologies for that, kind of forgot it is a brand new car were talking about and sounds as though it has been set up for 17"s etc so the one size up in wheel size shouldnt matter, seeing as many older corsa's, (corsa b for example) originally runs on 13"s, whereas the majority of people go for 15" alloys

as for the tyres being classed as "ultra low profile" personally i wouldn't say theyre all that low profile, as my wheels have the same tyre wall size, and they are lower than some, but there still is quite a good chunk of tyre wall lol, but again mine are only 15"s so so it might look different on the bigger wheel.

sorry about a couple of my previous posts karen, will look forward to seeing the pics when you (finally) take delivery of it :D :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah the steering system sounds like as i'd described it, its an onboard computer system that assesses how fast the car is going, and how much the steering has been turned, and corrects any oversteer/understeer that it thinks may have occurred, doesnt take control over the steering but it applies brakes to one side of the car and supplies more power to the opposing wheel to "pull" the car back into what it considers a better turn etc. again, another nicety over the standard variants.

as for the plan of going for those options on the car, and the reasons behind them, personally cant fault them, makes sense to do it like that :thumbs_up:

having read this thread a second time round, i cant see a problem with 18"s fitting and looking ok. i'll admit i was perhaps being a tad too picky when i criticised it, so apologies for that, kind of forgot it is a brand new car were talking about and sounds as though it has been set up for 17"s etc so the one size up in wheel size shouldnt matter, seeing as many older corsa's, (corsa b for example) originally runs on 13"s, whereas the majority of people go for 15" alloys

as for the tyres being classed as "ultra low profile" personally i wouldn't say theyre all that low profile, as my wheels have the same tyre wall size, and they are lower than some, but there still is quite a good chunk of tyre wall lol, but again mine are only 15"s so so it might look different on the bigger wheel.

sorry about a couple of my previous posts karen, will look forward to seeing the pics when you (finally) take delivery of it :D :thumbs_up:
No worries, absolutely no offence taken at all, It was good to hear other people discussing the pros and cons of my situ, it helps to give me a clearer idea of which direction to go with things. Cheers alot..

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Now people are just being picky, 1.2 corsa D do not lack power and are perfectly capable iv driven one so i should know, You wont even notice and increase in full comsumption. If all what is said that bad why hasnt it been puttin on every other thread regarding wheels on this forum.

Your car will be fine.
Clutch didnt say they arent capable but they are underpowered, my mam has owned one for near enough a year now and believe me they are to heavy for a smaller engine.

Just for a quick comparison the corsa D sxi:
1.2i 16V SXi 3d 0-60 13.0
compared with the corsa C
1.2i 16V SXi 3d 0-60 12.0

It may only be a second but you dont half notice it when driving, this isnt just my opinion quite alot of people who I have spoken to agree the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engines dont have enough torgue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts