All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying hi as this is first post here.

I just bought my first car a vauxhall corsa 1.2 premier in green and I didn't look at the mot certificate untill I got home. (I know that was probably a stupid thing to do) it has advisories for slight play on the back wheels and slight chassis corrosion and an oil leak ( yet to find out where as it hasn't left any marks on the floor where it's been parked for a couple of days)

All in all is this really bad or not so bad? It only just had its mot and is valid till the end of the year. Sorry if I sound really dumb I'm just new to all this! Thanks in advance any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
If as you say its advisory it is nothing to worry about at the moment,or it wouldn't have passed its MOT.These are generally things that you are informed to keep your eye on that may require attention in the future,and may need it before the next MOT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your help, i think that to say its nearly 20 its in pretty good shape for it :) will just need to learn how yo keep this corrosion under control if indeed you can at all, before it falls apart, thanks again.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Give the rust a bit of a rub down and a coat of smooth hammerite. Its not the cheapest paint but gives quite good results painted straight onto rust. And 20 years old? Thats nothing. One of my cars was still going strong at 82 years of age thanks to hammerite.

Dont apply thick coats of underseal . This only makes mot testers suspicious of what may be hidden underneath. :thumbs_up:

Update - I can no longer recommend hammerite. I have done some research.(sad I know but its minus 12 and I have a log fire and fibre optic internet).The formula has changed and it is now much thinner with less pigment.You need at least 3 coats. Ok for 2-3 years but there are better products available such as por 15. The diesel 1.3 cdti started ok at minus 12 btw

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou again will defo give it a try as I want it to live as long as possible! Now there's a problem with the brakes, really spongy and soft pedal goes all the way down to the floor and nearly wrote off my car today when trying to do an emergency stop :( there's loads of break fluid in there so is it most likely to be the master cylinder? Thanks again

·
Banned
147 Posts
Really sorry to hear of your misfortune.:( Welcome to the world of car ownership. Lets hope you will still be able to look back on your first car with affection in years to come. You probably will.

Could be the master cylinder but there are other possibilities.Its going to need immediate expert attention anyway so there is probably no point in speculating too much at this stage.

On a positive note you still sound remarkably upbeat and taking a proactive interest in the car. Even a little knowledge can reduce the number of 'male cow pats' mechanics will try and feed you. Being in Lancashire also helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks it's in the garage now it'll be getting seen tomorow iv looked at the worst possibilitys and I mean even if the master cylinder has gone hope fully it would only be around 180 max and that's affordable so I can continue to love it all the more! It's an awesome car and it's bright green! What's not to love lol thanks again ill hopefully post back tomorow with the verdict...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got word back today, the very nice mechanic has found it to be the master cylinder and will replace it for 70 which I think is a very good price! So looking forward to having it back fully working thanks again for everyone's help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.