All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some cheap (circa £100) surround sound speakers. Firstly is it worth it at this price range? Also I'm looking to plug them into a computer and the TV, possible?

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
Well there are 3 less speakers on 2.1 so yes there is some difference :laugh:

It's one of those things- some people are happy with a cheap 5.1 set, some aren't.
Personally I'd say up your budget a bit and get a reasonable 5.1 set. Or up your budget a lot and pop into a Richer Sounds (if you have one of those in your area) and see what you can work with.

I love a good surround sound setup, if this is part of your 'man' plan then you need a separate AV Received too IMO :thumbs_up:

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Looking for some cheap (circa £100) surround sound speakers. Firstly is it worth it at this price range? Also I'm looking to plug them into a computer and the TV, possible?
If I was looking for what you're looking for. I'd look at "home cinema" systems. Or home AV Receiver/Amp systems. They'd connect directly to your TV by design. And also will usually have some form of audio input too, typically line level in, or optical in. Either of which you could connect a PC into it through.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there are 3 less speakers on 2.1 so yes there is some difference :laugh:

It's one of those things- some people are happy with a cheap 5.1 set, some aren't.
Personally I'd say up your budget a bit and get a reasonable 5.1 set. Or up your budget a lot and pop into a Richer Sounds (if you have one of those in your area) and see what you can work with.

I love a good surround sound setup, if this is part of your 'man' plan then you need a separate AV Received too IMO :thumbs_up:
Bang and olfsen about 5 min away...
Av received?

If I was looking for what you're looking for. I'd look at "home cinema" systems. Or home AV Receiver/Amp systems. They'd connect directly to your TV by design. And also will usually have some form of audio input too, typically line level in, or optical in. Either of which you could connect a PC into it through.
Sounds interesting so why would you recommend this?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
As a general rule, home AV systems are much better quality (both build and sound) than most PC speaker systems. There are exceptions of course, but it's the fact you want to connect it tot he TV aswell, that makes me suggest it more than a PC set of speakers.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
We have a shop round here called Richer Sounds.. It's a Hi-Fi shop, sells, home AV amps/recievers/seperates/speakers etc, great place, as you can physically go there and look at all the different brands and hear them all with whatever speakers you want to put with them.

I'd say try and find somewhere like that, they regularly have £150 or £200 deals that will net you things like a Yamaha amp/reciever and a set of JBL/Denon etc speakers. Good stuff, good money.

They are local though, afaik not on the interwebs

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I bought a sound bar and sub which I use on the computer, tv and on my mp3 player - it was about £130 iirc (which was discounted from £250) but it's a buyer's market at the moment.

Not as good as surround sound, but used in conjuction with the tv's virtual surround sound it works pretty good. Put it like this - our daughters complain about their bedroom floors bouncing up and down :D

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
We have a shop round here called Richer Sounds.. It's a Hi-Fi shop, sells, home AV amps/recievers/seperates/speakers etc, great place, as you can physically go there and look at all the different brands and hear them all with whatever speakers you want to put with them.

I'd say try and find somewhere like that, they regularly have £150 or £200 deals that will net you things like a Yamaha amp/reciever and a set of JBL/Denon etc speakers. Good stuff, good money.

They are local though, afaik not on the interwebs
Richer sounds are on the Internet, they have stores dotted around the country :thumbs_up:

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Also Tim, for decent branded stuff, you're going to be looking, I'd say around £200-£250 if you went the AV reciever & speakers option. A bit of a jump from £100.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh520/sony-strdh520-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/s-hs100/pion-shs100

Those two combined, would sound better than any normal consumer level PC speaker setup and thats pretty much the beginning of the home AV market... And you have the amazing added bonus of it being a fully featured AV reciever. More AV inputs/outputs and controls than you can shake a very shaky stick at!!

Dave

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Thought of studio monitors?

For the PC I've used KRK R5's for a while and cant fault them :) 2nd hand will be around the £100 mark I presume. Worth a look anyways...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.