All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question regarding fuel figures I have not long bought a car from a dealers its a 57 plate vauxhall corsa 1.7 cdti Z17dtr engine this one do not have the DPF fitted to it .I am getting crap fuel returns on the car , when driving the car local the figures are dropping below 29 to the gallon and I am driving the car normal and not racing it ,when going downhill the figures go up slightly woo on a roll now lol to 32 to 33 to the gallon ,being the size of the car I would at least expect to get around the 38/40 mark around town has these are booked at 44.8 urban on a run they are booked at 57.6 combined and 68.9 extra urban something must be wrong to be getting so low a turn around ,for a diesel with 51000 miles it should be getting better not worse my partners clio petrol was doing 28 around town so for a diesel its far from economical something must be not working right on the car engine to get such a low turn around . Is there anything that could be causing this , the car ,What you would you check if you was fixing this car with this diagnosis i just paid nearly £6000 for the car an I am not a happy person .

what i have noticed on tick over the car engine sounds normal then all of a sudden it make a weird noise for a few seconds
If you can offer any help I would much appreciate it
i might have well bought a petrol car with these figures

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
The Clio petrol's 28mpg figure sounds low around town as well. What engine is it?

What's the service history of the car like?
What rpm are you changing gear at, and how gently are you pushing the accelerator?
Are there any lights on the dash lit up whilst driving like engine management light?

If all the above is ok and the power of the car feels fine
I'd check simple things like tyre pressures, jack up the wheels and make sure nothing is binding anywhere and all moves freely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Clio petrol's 28mpg figure sounds low around town as well. What engine is it?

What's the service history of the car like?
What rpm are you changing gear at, and how gently are you pushing the accelerator?
Are there any lights on the dash lit up whilst driving like engine management light?

If all the above is ok and the power of the car feels fine
I'd check simple things like tyre pressures, jack up the wheels and make sure nothing is binding anywhere and all moves freely.
the car as got servise history with it and just had a servise oil, fillters .no lights on dash board its been checked with a code reader as ok none logged ,the power is on the low side its feels very low on the torque side for a 1.7 not very quick off the mark gear change is frequent but i never had a small car so i would find it hard to judge this ,tyer pressures all ok i check these every week as i got an air compressor ,i had a vectra sri before this and i was getting 42 to the gallion easy and the car was much bigger to. for a small car i would expect better .

the car as got 3 months warranty with it i just got it back the other day for a repair on the wiring loom by the mass airflow sensor ,the cable had rubbed up against the belt as some point when the last people owned this was repired but not replaced i am not sure if this would cause any problems ?
thanks for the reply if you have anything else to had please do

·
Banned
885 Posts
As already said, try the simple things first:
On a GENTLE slope, with the car out of gear, will it start to roll when you release the hand brake? If not, the brakes may be binding.
Is there BLACK smoke in the exhaust at any point whilst driving? If so, check the induction system for restrictions, even to the extent of having the wrong air filter element.
Did the people who you bought the car from carry out the service that you mention before you had the car? If so, they may well not have done a FULL service.
I'm a little bit concerned about this intermittent 'weird' noise. - Suggest that you use a 'listening stick' ( a length of dowel or even a long screwdriver) place one end on the area that you think the sound is coming from (turbo, water pump,alternator etc.) and the other end IN your ear. You should be able to locate the source of noise with this.
Another point of concern is this 'repair' on the loom to the MAF sensor, are you sure that this id now fully functional?
Regards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As already said, try the simple things first:
On a GENTLE slope, with the car out of gear, will it start to roll when you release the hand brake? If not, the brakes may be binding.
Is there BLACK smoke in the exhaust at any point whilst driving? If so, check the induction system for restrictions, even to the extent of having the wrong air filter element.
Did the people who you bought the car from carry out the service that you mention before you had the car? If so, they may well not have done a FULL service.
I'm a little bit concerned about this intermittent 'weird' noise. - Suggest that you use a 'listening stick' ( a length of dowel or even a long screwdriver) place one end on the area that you think the sound is coming from (turbo, water pump,alternator etc.) and the other end IN your ear. You should be able to locate the source of noise with this.
Another point of concern is this 'repair' on the loom to the MAF sensor, are you sure that this id now fully functional?
Regards.
hi thanks

i bought the car from vauxhall i took the car back and they done a re-rest on the trip computer in the car we then took it for test drive and its now doing 44 + around town to 53 + on the motorway apparanty if you want to get an accurate fuel reading you have to re set this at the start on every journey also where we live we have a lot of hills so our fuel figures are lower than they would be on a run but still good .thanks for the support it was apprecated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts