All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When I brake I get a noise I think just from the drivers side front brake, like a scraping rubbing noise faiirly loud and not nice. Then the noise seams to continue for a bit after and it sounds like there's a rubbing noise coming from the wheel when I drive.

SO are my brake pads rubbing do you think could my brake caliper not be working properly - not uncompressing from the discs?

How would I tell what can I look for to fix it?

Sorry to just jump on the forum and start posting questions. :eek:

THanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
check the pads for a start. if they are ok then take them out and grease them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would I grease them with? wouldn't that reduce friction and braking?

Reckon I may even just replace them if I'm taking them out.

Are the pads normally quite close to the discs then, close enough to rub a little?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
had this with mine. pads were completely down to metal and ruined both of my disks.and had to have then all replaced. so get it sorted beofre u ruin ur discs!

·
Registered
476 Posts
What would I grease them with? wouldn't that reduce friction and braking?

Reckon I may even just replace them if I'm taking them out.

Are the pads normally quite close to the discs then, close enough to rub a little?
dont grease the friction surface you tit! the pads are held in by the ends, grease them and the backs. and if your gonna fit new pads you got to grease them to

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaaah, well I did think it was a bit of an odd thing to grease. :eek:
Not changed pads before.

Reckon it's a complete change I need then. May do discs and pads together they seam more economical looking at prices on ebay.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Look at the dsics, if they're not smooth and shiney, but rough and scraped, you have metal on metal, which would require both discs and pads to be changed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a look today and the drivers side making the noise appears grooved a bit and the other side appears smooth although there's rust(?) round the edge.

SO I've got new pads but it looks like I'll need new discs too.

Now then can I A) change my solid discs to vented discs are they B) much better and C) more expensive?

COuld I as a temporary measure replace the pads and not the disks for a few days a week. Not doing lots of driving right now as speedo not working.

Cheers for the help - really apriciated! :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
You could replace with vented/grooved, and yes they would be slightly better.

Also you would be able to get just pads. With any luck they should bed themselves in and polish the disc back shiney as you go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the kinda reply I like!

Cheap initially with the promise of more spending if I fancy it!

Cheers mate. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now this may sound daft but a bit of a noob.

Can I tell vented discs because they have a channel round the middle of the edge of the disc.
And solid one are, well, solid all round the edge. Dumass that I am thought vented would have holes in the faces of them but looking on ebay thats not the case is it now!

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you have solid discs then vented wont fit without bigger calipers cos they are wider. if your talking vented as in drilled and groved then yes they will fit if they are solid. thats if your discs are solid. its hard to explain in words!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you have solid discs then vented wont fit without bigger calipers cos they are wider. if your talking vented as in drilled and groved then yes they will fit if they are solid. thats if your discs are solid. its hard to explain in words!
No I reckon that makes ense to me now.

cheers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:D

I have found the cause of my brake noise today!

You may struggle to believe this....

But some idiot has put the brake pad in the wrong way! :mad:

I mean how hard can it be!!!

I've not managed to change the pad over yet because I didn't have the right size hex socket. I'lll get the socket tommorow. I had a go with an allen key and I'm just hoping that I've not rounded off the inside of the fitting and that a hex socket will work tommorow. If it dosen't can I take the whole caliper off and remove the pad?

Idiot though who puts a pad in the wrong way. Even I wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
:eek: how is that possible?! who did you buy the car off, Stevie Wonder! there are some muppets about

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
i am no longer giving advice on this forum, all i do is help people then i put an ad in the for sale and it gets removed. sorry all but ive had enough

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's all fixed and working fine now. Thanks for all the advice folks.
Went really well.
Fixed my speedo and the same time, just a fuse.

Then came to start the car and have a little drive....

Didn't Fing start!
Must be an old battery, I reckon. Gave it a push and it's been fine. Bet I'll get stranded somwhere though with a flat battery facing the wrong way up a hill :laugh:.

When I test drove it it was on a gravely surface so didn't notice the braking noise so much and it just got worse as I drove it home. Still I do now wonder what other suprises may be in store for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts