All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have more lighting in my car (blue)
would it be possible to have 4 blue cathodes all linked up to one another, and then into a button in the centre console, that turns them on and off?
if so any ideas how?

thanks

diagram below.. yes its crap lol..

Neons in footwells, and under the front seats, hooked up to the white circle in the black centre console..

·
Registered
224 Posts
neons

hi

mate it is simple to do just remember that you want an inline fuse one coming from the battery and then one in the car coming from the switch to the first neon.

1. disconnect battery.
2. run a live feed with a inline fuse from the battery into the main cabin of the car.
3. position all the neons and fit where you want them in the car.
4. drill and fit your switch and then run all your cables to where the switch is located hiding all the cables under
the carpet and door sills etc.
5. from there all you need to do is link all the cables from your neons in series either via chocolate boxes or other suitable connectors.
6. from there connect the live feed to the switch and then run an additional feed with another inline fuse to the neons for your power source. (PS DONT FORGET TO FIND A SUITABLE EARTHING POINT BEFORE CONNECTING THE LIVE FEED BACK TO THE BATTERY).
7. connect the battery and test your neons. (as long as you have wired everything correctly, neons should turn on and off, if they dont, check your earth connection and then check fuses, if you have wired incorrectly either fuse will pop saving your neons or electrics.

This is what i did on my mx5 but i had 4 neons inside the car and then 4 neons underneath the car 4 neons in the coilovers and one in the engine bay. car looked fantastic but remember if you fit neons outside the boys in blue dont like neons being displayed at the front of the car so fit a kill switch on the neons being displayed at the front of the car so you can turn that one off but have the rest on.

any probs mate just email me [email protected]

·
Registered
197 Posts
ALSO:

Don't forget if you drill through the floor (to the often wet and salty environment) you will need to cover the end of the screws with something (silicone sealer is a good choice) so that your car dosen't rust!

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi

mate it wont drain your battery, basically if the switch is on it will begain to drain your battery but once off it wont and even when the switch is on, power drained from your battery is minimal,

earthing point is a different matter, usually you will have three solid earth points in your car one in boot, engine bay and one near your gearbox. the best one i would suggest would be the one connected to your stereo.

1.take your stereo out
2.look at the plug what connected to your stereo. and trace the earthing point they used and just connect to that.

any further probs or questions just do another post and i will keep an eye on the thread to help out mate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
when using electric equipment you have a live,neutral and earth. the earth is just in case you have a build up of static or overload the equipment so the build up can discharge without giving you a shock or blowing the hole system. you will probably find that your neons wont require an earth just a live and negative or neutral. your switch will require an earth if you are unsure where this is located give me model details and year and i will find and give location on your vehicle.

does this help if not what are you unsure of.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi

mate a live feed is basically the live wire coming from your battery supplying you power to the switch (live feed).

i will locate your earthing point and post tommorrow mate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi

mate your earthing points are located all over your car, the easiest to locate is in the boot near your spare tyre or in the compartment where your lights are. i would probably stick with them mate.

let me know how you get on mate

or

you can play the waiting game as i am fitting neons inside and out of my car in a fortnight and also white dials and replacing the interior bulbs to red and i will post a full tutorial with step by step directions, if that is ok with lee will have to emailhim or post a new thread to see if that is ok.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi

mate your earthing points are located all over your car, the easiest to locate is in the boot near your spare tyre or in the compartment where your lights are. i would probably stick with them mate.

or

you can play the waiting game as i am fitting neons inside and out of my car in a fortnight and also white dials and replacing the interior bulbs to red and i will post a full tutorial with step by step directions, if that is ok with lee will have to emailhim or post a new thread to see if that is ok.
no one will complain about those tutorials mate.. one of the most wanted mods..

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
hi

or

Yea do a tutorial mate you don't need to ask permission - just follow the tutorial guide that Lee has put up and give detailed steps and pics where necessary :thumbs_up:

I'm also planning to change my interior bulbs to red so tutorial will be very handy :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
will do a full tutorial with pics then,

i have my exterior neons and dial kit and bulbs just not my interior neons yet should come in the next few days and then its playtime.

so just keep an eye on the tutorials in a few days time.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ive fitted neons in my footwells, instead of running a seperate live wire from the battery i just connected the power and earth wires from the adaptor for the neons to the back of the cigarette lighter.

This saved me alot of time and effort, also means that they only come on when the ignition is on, therefore they wont drain the battery at all if i forget to turn them off at the switch i have installed.

Looks ok i think

·
Registered
80 Posts
looks good its a pity tht the 1.2 merit 1998 dont come with a bloody cigerette lighter cus i would like to do tht too mine and i also have an in car dvd player i wanted to wire up.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well you should be able to hijack anything that takes power really, for example the power supply to the headunit.

In my old car (106 MKI) i wired up some LEDs in the footwell, i connected the power for those up to some lights in the center console so that they came on when you turned the other interior lights on.

Otheriwise as davy69 said run a new live feed from the battery into the car and use one of the earthing points located within the car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
looks good its a pity tht the 1.2 merit 1998 dont come with a bloody cigerette lighter cus i would like to do tht too mine.
You may find that you still have wires for a cigarette lighter. Take your ashtray out and see if there are any wires/plugs behind where the cigarette lighter would be. For the sake of 4 screws it's probably worth a look :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts