All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here but just wondering if some of you experts could give me some help with a problem I have been having lately.

My car is a 1999 1.2 corsa and it seems to have acceleration/loss of power trouble over the last few months.
It is mainly noticable in 1st and 2nd gear but I can feel it slightly at higher gears too.

What usually happens is I will pull away from some lights and as I get to about 2k revs the car sticks at the same speed of about 5 mph and the revs stay at the 2000 mark no matter how much I put my foot down... this continues for about 5 seconds when suddenly the power returns, if I change up to second gear the same happens again where there is very little power and then suddenly the power is back (although it does feel a little less powerful than what it should do). Higher gears feel like they have less acceleration than there used to be.

If it helps, the problem is usually a lot more noticable in hot weather or after a lot of stopping and starting and sometimes it does not happen atall - mainly after a cold start.

I was told the clutch might be slipping but shouldn't the revs increase and not stick if this was the case?

So far I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter and used some of that injector cleaning stuff you put in the petrol.
Any more ideas?

Sorry for the long post by the way.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
First of all :welcome: .

Is your engine management light on on your dashboard?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
hi :welcome: .mine does that when i put my foot to the floor in 1st.but it was only serviced about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... my last proper service was about 2 years ago before I bought the car... I usually do most odd jobs myself as and when they need doing...I'll check through the service history and see when the leads and plugs were last done and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mine used to do this, and it turned out to be the mass airflow meter, but the lambda sensor causes the same problems, get it to your local garage and ask them to put it on the diagnostics machine to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
1.2's dont have mass airflow sensors, perhaps it is the lamda sensor. i wouldnt know, Sounds a bit like heat soak, do you have and induction kit? or drilled airbox? where is mark again when he is needed? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No induction kit or drilled box.... How easy is it to change the lamda sensor... I can get a 2nd hand one for £20 - do you just unscrew the old one and connect the new or is it a job for the garage?

I'm going to get it on the diagnostic machine on friday anyway... maybe this will reveal the problem... I hope so - theres nothing more fun than pulling out from a junction into a busy 60mph road only to put your foot down and not move :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Lambda sensor is really easy to swap. It's exactly as you mentioned above.

·
Registered
696 Posts
No induction kit or drilled box.... How easy is it to change the lamda sensor... I can get a 2nd hand one for £20 - do you just unscrew the old one and connect the new or is it a job for the garage?

I'm going to get it on the diagnostic machine on friday anyway... maybe this will reveal the problem... I hope so - theres nothing more fun than pulling out from a junction into a busy 60mph road only to put your foot down and not move :)
should think you disconnect old one, unscrew it and screw new one basck in, conect it, the run the engine for a bit

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its most definately your air flow mass sensor. 1.2 Corsas do have them, but they have to be the 16v engines (1.0 16v engines have them aswell). My car did this for ages, until some guy on nw-corsa.co.uk insisted it was this sensor. I bought one and my car runs like new. Sometimes when you install an induction kit, your ecu plays up as the air sensor is getting new readings etc, you should try resetting your ecu b4 you buy a new sensor (tutorial is on this website). If the problem still exists, buy a new sensor off ebay (30-40£).

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Its most definately your air flow mass sensor. 1.2 Corsas do have them, but they have to be the 16v engines (1.0 16v engines have them aswell).
The 8 valvers dont have them and there is no such thing as a 1.0 16v, its a 12v as there are only 3 cylinders :p

iirc only 1.0 litres had them :confused:

·
Registered
393 Posts
1.2 8v's can have a MAF sensor, my brother has a later one and it does have one on the end of the plenum chamber before the throttle body. his is also the ecotec one, so chances are, if its an 8v ecotec its probably got one.
Mine doesn't thank god, one less thing to go wrong :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was the MAF on my 1.2 16V causing the hesitation problems, the lesson I learnt here was not to buy cheap ones off Ebay especially one from a trader called The Portland Group, it lasted all of one week before it failed :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts