All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.

im hoping to lower my car by 40mm as this way i wont have to change my shocks.

is the process easy to do or would it be better to get a mechanic to do it?

i've got a mate back home whos willing to help me out and ive got the haynes manual to help too. being a student, i dont really have any spare cash so i am really wanting to avoid having to take the car to a garage. will this spring compressor be the only special tool ill need?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....066075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

as i already have a decent set of spanners and a sprocket set that both go up to 19mm plus other bits and pieces.

cheers.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Easy if you have right tools...do you ahve an 18mm drop kneck spaner and some spring clamps?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy if you have right tools...do you ahve an 18mm drop kneck spaner and some spring clamps?
i dont have a drop neck spanner but surely a sprocket set would do the same job? my mate might have one though.

aren't springs clamps the same things as those compressors on the link???

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Completly missed link and everything elow it, sorry

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You can't use a socket instearld if the drop neck spanner, because you need to get a spanner or socket onto another nut inside it. Doesn't sound like it makes sence but if you go and look at the top of the strut under the bonnet you'll see what I mean

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Exactly.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Basically, if you just turned the top nut with a socket it'd bite in (as its done up tight) and just turn the entire shock rod round and round forever. You need to use a drop neck sapnner to get purchase on the top nut, then a smaller spanner or socket (cant remmeber size but its alot smaller than top nut) on the centre nut, hold the centre nut stationary whilst you undo the larger top nut.

If you've not done it before it could take a few hours but its definately doable within a day.

The spring compressors listed will do the job yes. Once top mount is loosened off (for gods sake dont fully undo it whilst on the car, springs will fly off everywhere, lol) using the above method, undo the two small bolts either side of the top mount that hold the shock assembly in place (these are small cant remember size though). After this undo the two (i think 17mm) bolts that hold the bottom of the shock to the rear of the hubs. Then the whole spring/shock assembly will be able to come out. Once out, compress the springs using spring clamps to take the tension off of the top mounts. Once compressed, fully undo the top mount and make sure you remeber the order the bits of the top mount came off in, lol, i had that problem the first time i did mine.. Top mount off, old springs out, new springs in, compress springs to allow fitment of top mount again, fit top mount fully. Let the springs decompress by undoing clamps again. Ensure top mount is done up tight. Slide into position in car, secure the two top bolts holding shock in a little bit, just to take the weight. Line up bottom two bolts on rear of hub, insert bolts just to take weight. Do up top two bolts fully. Do up bottom two bolts fully.

Make sure everythign is tight, even when you think its done, tighten it some more, and then some more.

Hope that helps, Dave

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Think the piston top is 8mm Bolts eitherside of shock are 13mm

Reactions: dragon2309

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I dont know if they'll fit, but they would only lower it by about 20mm as C springs are shorter I think

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sorry to bring back a dead thread but saves creating another one. But does anyone know the torque setting for the top mount on the front strut? Haynes manual only tells me upper mounting nuts and the lower strut bolts.

Also, on the lower strut bolts. It says to torque up in 3 stages...

Stage 1 - 50Nm
Stage 2 - 90Nm
Stage 3 - 45 to 60 Degrees

Is stage 3 nessessary as i dont have an angle torque wrench?

Dan :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I didn't torque mine, just made it tight, and it's been fine
Was that the top mount or the lower mount? Just spoke my dads mate up the my local garage and he said there is no torque setting for the top mount, just tight.

But what about the stage 3 part on the lower mount, anyone know if it is nessesary?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I just tightened both. Don't have a torque wrench
Nice one cheers. One last thing, did you use new bolts when reassembling? Haynes says you must but Haynes also over complicates a lot of s**t...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts