All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What are your opinions on this amp?

I need an amp to boost my JBL speakers a bit. They can go way louder! I've got JBL GTO-627's in my door panels. The head unit is running them only, & I reckon they could take a lot more.

I'm going to connect the amp up to my 6x9s as well - They're Pioneer TS-A6921 (380 watt max)

The amp i want is this one: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-mrpf242-p-5600.html

This is my sub:JBL BTX-250 (integrated sub & amp combo)

:thumbs_up:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
thoughts erm...no basically, if you use all four channels each speaker will get 40wrms, which is poor, my headunit delivers 4x30wrms!! you will barely notice the difference.

Id recommend this
JBL GTO 75.4
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto754-p-4140.html

This is a very popular amp, the reason is because its very good for the money. Its a tenner more than the alpine and you probably get double the output. Whats your components rated at btw?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What HU do you have that can deliver 4x30RMS lol?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Most do these days don't they?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what the ratings are of my JBL's -
# Power Handling, RMS: 60 Watts
# Power Handling, Peak: 180 Watts
# Frequency Response (±3dB): 55Hz - 21kHz
# Sensitivity: 92dB

This is what my Pioneers are rated at:
# Frequency response 25 - 32.000 Hz
# Sensitivity (1W/1m) 93 dB
# Maximum Power 380 Watt
# Nominal input power 80 Watt

Does this help?

I was thinking of getting that JBL amp, but my mate recommended that Alpine - I think I might go with the JBL now. But will the JBL amp distort my speakers too much?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
No thats max, the RMS of 50w max is going to be around say 16-17 RMS, it would have to be about a 4x100w HU that would deliver 4x30RMS.:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Apparently my head unit gives out 30 watts RMS but is 50 watts peak. When connected to my comps it did go really quite loud without distortion.

And Lyds the speakers will only distort if the amp is underpowered and you drive it too hard. If it's only 40 watts RMS and you try to push it too much it will clip and the sound will come through the speakers. If you have an amp more powerful than your speakers can handle they shouldn't distort, unless you put too much power through the speakers, and then you risk blowing them. You just have to be sensible, as in don't whack the volume right up and leave it there lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How do you go about bridging a head unit? Something like use the positive of the front speakers and the negative of the rear speakers for each side of the car, and do this by cutting a few wires on the ISO connector?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I was thinking of getting that JBL amp, but my mate recommended that Alpine - I think I might go with the JBL now. But will the JBL amp distort my speakers too much?
Should listen to yourself more often then :) lol, dont listen to your mate, get the JBL. It shouldnt do, its just setting it up right.

I reckon your headunit will produce about 20-25wrms, thats what most do anyway, corsaj 16-17 is a bit low isnt it?!

Corsaj my headunit is a Kenwood KDC-W7531, 4x50w max and 4x30wrms

Hmmm never thought about bridging a headunit, i dont have any rear speakers (no need for them :) ) so this would be a great idea, nice one martin!! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
447 Posts
How do you go about bridging a head unit? Something like use the positive of the front speakers and the negative of the rear speakers for each side of the car, and do this by cutting a few wires on the ISO connector?
well gota make sure the hu can handle a 2ohm load, it can get very hot lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
its bridged in the same way an external 2 or 4 channel amp is :)

you can even got some comps with a 2ohm SVC, so they'll run at 2ohm anyway :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Oh right, learn something new every day on here i stand corrected, cheers guys:):)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts