All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my car I have 2 amps, a 2 channel amp running my sub, and a 4 channel amp running my 6X9's and hopefully soon my comps. Was driving home the other night when the head unit suddenly turned off. I had recently been cutting the ISO connector up to try and connect the door comps to the amp but failed so I re-connected the wires temporarily, I left the power cables alone so I don't know entirely how the head unit lost power like it did. Anyway I got a new ISO connector yesterday, switched the red and yellow wires around and the head unit is now working as it should, but for some reason no power is getting to the amps. I've checked all the fuses and they appear to be ok, the wiring hasn't changed from when they were working but I checked all the wires and they are all connected to where they should be, but nothing's working. I've connected the remote wire on the ISO connector to the amps as it was before, I'm thinking theres a problem there somewhere but like I said it IS connected so I can't work out what is wrong. Any ideas on other things to check, or what might be wrong? It's doing my nut in because as far as I can see it SHOULD work and it DID work, and I'm really missing my sub :( lol

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I had a similar problem on my old car. I ended up having to fit a switch to the remote wire.
Check all your earth connections just to be on the safe side. I'll rack my brains and try and remember exactly what happened with mine and how I fixed it for you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But isn't that the whole idea of the remote wire? So you don't have to manually switch the amps on? I wondered about the earth but when I first set the system up the earth wasn't connected properly and I got the red light on the amps, meaning there was power but it wasn't a secure connection or there was some kind of problem, but now I'm not getting anything, no lights whatsoever. Could the head unit have gone wrong? As all problems started when it switched itself off, maybe it isnt sending the signal down the remote wire? I really can't think of anything else to try.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
have you checked the condition and connection of the amp power lead to the battery? is there any white deposits around the battery terminals? the headunit might not be the issue

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep it's all connected and all connection points seem to be fine, no white deposits of any kind. I'm hoping the head unit isn't the issue because I like the look of it and I can't afford another one just yet lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
With mine I wasn't getting any power, then once it was working fine it was always on, even when the car was switched off. Not a clue why, so I fitted a switch to it and it was fine. Plus on the days when you don't fancy having base vibrating your head it's handy to just be able to switch it off.

I can't remember what was the problem though. I'll ask my brother tomorrow when I see him because he always helps whenever I do anything so he might remember.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys I found the problem. I bridged the connection between the power and remote terminal and the amps powered up, meaning theres something wrong with the remote wire. I'm guessing it's a dodgy ISO connector as the wire connected to it is fine. Taking it to town in an hour or so to have a few annoying little things done (new aerial socket for the car, amps wired up to door speakers etc) so I'll get them to throw a new ISO connector in or fix the one I got now. Thanks for all your input.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Let us know how you got on then Lee.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got it all sorted, I think they said it was a dodgy wire on the ISO connector, wasnt in the plug properly or something. They didn't have time to connect the speakers up to the amp which is a shame :( Might have to have a bash at it myself, but I don't fancy cutting the ISO connector up again, I tried it once before and the drivers side speakers didn't work at all, also there's a big difference in wire size where the wires have to be joined, kind of don't wanna risk it again after failing last time lol.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if you connect your remote wire to a perm live the amp should switch on if it does that tells u its you remote wire and obviously if it dont then its gotta be to do with the earth or power suply hope that helps

·
Registered
521 Posts
sorry i only signed up yesterday if any 1 needs any help with ice instaltion i am pretty knolageable bout this stuff and can help if they wanna come down south

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you connect your remote wire to a perm live the amp should switch on if it does that tells u its you remote wire and obviously if it dont then its gotta be to do with the earth or power suply hope that helps
Thanks for that, but I did say that I already tried that about 3 posts above yours lol. This was ages ago, been sorted for ages.

·
Registered
611 Posts
as soon as i saw the title, i knew for a fact it was the remote wire!! :laugh: :laugh: 99% of amp failures aint failures, just a dodgy remote wire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts