All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed something quite bizarre the other day.

As you may know, I had trouble with my fanbelt squealing recently and rectified it as best I could. She still does it on occasion but I've noticed it's when I have more electrics on eg. Headlights on, interior cooling, rear window demister. I'll rev her with nothing on, and she'll be fine...but then if I turn on the headlights, and say the radio she will try to squeal on me. Is the belt too tight now and what is the recommended taughtness of the belt meant to be?? Getting really sick of it now....driving at night, in the rain can be a mare unless I drive without lights or wipers :laugh:

·
Registered
476 Posts
sky mine did exactly the same fine when nothing on and then put somthing electrical on and rev and it screams at you, i got a new alternater and it sorteded it out so as Laura said its prob the alternater

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'll source a second hand alternator from the scrappy and dismantle mine and rebuild it as a spare methinks.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Let us know if you sirt it:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
the correct tension of the belt is fairly easy to do, pinch the middle of the belt between your index finger and thumb and try to turn it, it shouldn't go more than 90 degrees when the tension is correct with a good belt.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"the correct tension of the belt is fairly easy to do, pinch the middle of the belt between your index finger and thumb and try to turn it, it shouldn't go more than 90 degrees when the tension is correct with a good belt."
This is worth a try first since when I tightened the belt I got one of my old rear shocks between it and the engine and then tightened the retaining bolts so it's on pretty tight. I've since learned that you should have maybe 5mm slack in the belt though. The whole belt thing is getting on my tits now to be fair, if it's the alternator itself I'm not gonna be impressed since I went up the scrappies earlier and trying to find a V-belt alternator with the right mountings at the bottom is turning out to be a right mission :mad:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sourced an Astra alternator from the North West of England, should be arriving today (engine mounting bracket and v-pulley too). Might have to change the pulley and the engine mount bracket to fit it but it should work. Gutting thing is, I had the Astra alternator with the engine when I bought it but slung it into my brothers Cavvy SRi when he scrapped it :(

Fitting tomorrow, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you may have read already.....it was and what a mission that was :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts