All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'm really fecked off with my car atm......I've changed the fanbelt recently because it sounded like banshees screaming under my bonnet. Was fine for maybe 2 days and it's started again so I'm, as you could probably imagine, pissed off to say the least. I even wedged one of my old rear shocks in between the engine and alternator to tighten up really well but to no avail.

I was wondering if any of you would mind taking a pic of the bolt setup that attaches to the adjuster bar for the alternator so I can see that I have everything there since I suspect the bolt is slipping under load. Doesn't look like everything is there that should be with regards to the bolt/washers. Went down to Vauxhall and acquired 2 new washers (the funny shaped ones that have the rubber fitting over them (for £6!! :mad: )) but want to see them actually on the car.

There should be 2 of those expensive washers, an earth loop and the bolt as far as I can tell but would be nice to be able to see it setup. I'm going to buy ANOTHER fanbelt since the teeth may be worn on the recent belt now.

It's really bad in the mornings, almost constant.....embarrassing, annoying to the point I want to take the car off the road until it's sorted :laugh: :mad:

So, if any of you lot wouldn't mind....I'd really appreciate a pic. Cheers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
696 Posts
you did the same as me, go for the bolt at the back of the alternator (ie bulkheadside) its a funny shape, like a star head? relatively difficult to get to, but that tightens it properly. if you do the bolt on the side it does dcome loose again

somebody help me explain, it is late.

and it wont be the teeth on the new belt :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've already done all that Matt.

What I'm saying is that I suspect that the elements of the bolt on the 'arm' (the bolt that holds the alternator, and allows you to adjust it) that are missing which I have sought and bought already at Vauxhall are not helping my cause. Before I fit it all again, I need to see how these bits fit together so I can get it right this time. Such a simple task has turned into a head**** :(

The lack of rubber washers (together with the metal counterparts) are probably the main reason it's not staying taught. I just need to see the way they fit together to be on the safe side mate. It's so f'in annoying it's unreal.

The lack of tools here is my problem first and foremost....I'm going up my girlfriends cousins to borrow the tools (2 x 13mm spanners) tomorrow (today if you've slept, unlike myself) since my set is up my brothers. 60 mile round trip to do a bloody fanbelt....not going to happen :laugh:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Right now I've slept, I've deciphered that you mean the bolt that is holding the bottom of the alternator to the engine? I'll have a nightmare trying to get to that today then :laugh: It's not a Torx head that I have, they tried offering me one whilst I was down Vaux the other day....I'll keep the Hex head bolt for ease (don't have a Torx head socket set).

Let you know how I get on later.....

EDIT: All sorted now....found out the possible cause too. The bolt that actually holds the bar to the block was missing one of those special rubber washers so there was a fair bit of 'play' from side to side on the bar itself. It's been pissing down all day here (got soaked to the skin) and she squealed a little but not much. Putting that down to the wet weather but should be okay *fingers crossed* now. Very fiddly job I have to say.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
be worn on the recent belt now.

It's really bad in the mornings, almost constant.....embarrassing, annoying to the point I want to take the car off the road until it's sorted :laugh: :mad:
Friday night driving down the highstreet, completely out of nowhere my belt screeched the whole way along the road, i felt like a right idiot, i did a jeremy clarkson and started shouting at my car lol WHY? WOT R U DOIN? STUPID MACHINE!
i attracted alot of unwanted attention, its been alright since, i dont understand why it did it though:confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
matt i think your one was screeched because where u left everything on. or wouldnt it just mean you need toi change the belt or is it a new battery i dunno but it was funny that nite seeing you shoutin at your car lol

craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts