All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Over the last couple days my corsa c has started with a rattle. Dosn't happen on speed humps just on a rough patch of the road, its mostly at a slower speed.

I've had a decent scout round the car. All the shock/springs are ok, can't see anything broke or hanging loose. So I am lost for ideas.

Any ideas are welcome, and I am not sure if to carry on til I find the cause or just leave it be, it's going for its mot next week, so trying to sort it before then

Thanks
Foxy

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Noises are almost impossible to diagnose over a forum - but for what it's worth:

The usual suspects are - worn anti-roll bar bushes

Worn tie bars - the Vauxhall originals are hopeless. They make a really annoying light rattle on uneven surfaces, but nothing on big bumps. Jack it up and grip the tie bar firmly - you can feel play in it if it's worn.

Or if it's a really metallic rattle check the 'cups' on the suspension struts - sometimes the bottom end of the spring snaps off and rests in there. It makes a very distinctive rattle that once you've heard it you know it again straight away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi taurus

Sorry forgot to mention, I has a spring replaced 2 weeks ago due to being snapped but have checked them again today and there fine, sounds daft but I described that sound as milk bottles rattling.

From what you describe I'd go for the tie bars as what you said, is what is happening, would that be mot fail or jus advisory?

Thanks
Foxy

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I like the description of the milk bottles - that's very accurate.

Tie bars rattling slightly ought not to be a fail - but it depends on the state of them and how rigorous the tester is. They are cheap and easy to fix so no worries there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha my wife thought I was going mad when I said I could hear milk bottles,

I'll have a look and if thats the problem I'll get them sorted,

Thanks for your help much appreciated :thumbs_up:

Foxy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update you, car failed its mot on 2 damaged anti roll bars, but the noise was the plastic covering for the o/s/f strut was all damaged, so got it all replace. Problem solved:thumbs_up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts