All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically i ordered these 2 neon bulbs off of eBay, to install into the front 2 footwells. I decided to try n power these up using the cigarrete lighter. I popped it out, and used the existing power and ground wires to try n connect them up, however it doesnt work. I think this is because the grounding isnt good enough. Has anyone ever had this problem before, if so how did u resolve it, and which wire is which? Orrr.. has any1 installed them a different way.. any help wud b greaaaatly appreciated! :) Cheers

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I used the glovebox light circuit as i didnt have a glovebox light in the first place but the circuitry was there! Its an ignition supply which is a bonus as there is no chance of leaving them on when your not in the car. I also installed some on a friends car, i used the power supply to the stereo to also power the LEDs and earthed them to a piece of the bulkhead which i could reach, i also got him a standard switch which i modified to switch on the LEDs, works good, both he proved effective and have yet to fail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used a metal part of the chassis for ground and i have tapped them into the light switch, so when my lights are on, the neons light up...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx clutch .. i dnt have a glove box light eiva, but i'll look for the circuitry. wot colour r the wires for live and earth. or did u jst attach the earth to the car's chassis? the cig lighter aint a switched suply no, it has a continous power suply, yet for sum reason myn wont produce enough power to light the neons. mayb i jst have a lose connection or sumthin, not sure, yet the cig lighter itself works absolutly fine..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thats weird, mine are run off my cigarette lighter and its a switched supply so they only work when the ignition is on, but i also have a switch installed so i have them on when i want not all the time :)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thanx clutch .. i dnt have a glove box light eiva, but i'll look for the circuitry. wot colour r the wires for live and earth. or did u jst attach the earth to the car's chassis? the cig lighter aint a switched suply no, it has a continous power suply, yet for sum reason myn wont produce enough power to light the neons. mayb i jst have a lose connection or sumthin, not sure, yet the cig lighter itself works absolutly fine..
It should have enough power to light the neons aslong as they are 12v, you may be right it could be a lose connection somewhere. Im not sure what the colours are because you have a corsa C, but im assuming live is brown and earth is green/yellow as thats what modern IEE regulations state it should be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It should have enough power to light the neons aslong as they are 12v, you may be right it could be a lose connection somewhere. Im not sure what the colours are because you have a corsa C, but im assuming live is brown and earth is green/yellow as thats what modern IEE regulations state it should be.
it could be red for live.

and it wont be green/yellow.
because the IEE regs dont apply to automotive electronics, only domestic and somtimes comercial installations. (sorry, im just doing that atm)

also there isnt an earth in a car, its ground which is the neutal supply.

Most probably its red/brown for live and black for ground (neutral)

It might be easier to wire them into you sterio wiring if you have replaced the standard sterio with and aftermarket one.

Consult the wiring or wiring diagram for the correct cables.

Jackassuk56

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
My bad was thinkin of work whilst writing that post :laugh:

You still earth it to the chassis though, means the same thing earth/ground/CPC. my car has green yellow conductors in it

·
Registered
713 Posts
i think the wires can be any colour theres no real stipulation with them with cars, from what ive been told, being led's its simple to find out, if u attatch the wires backwards the light just wont work and wond do any damage, my neons arent colour coded at all, the front one is 1 black 1 white, the back is 1 green, 1 blue lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
i tried mine of the cig lighter but it didnt work on mine either so i wired it up to the battery and put in a switch on the dash. if u do it this way its best to put a fuse on the positive wire.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
wired mine off cig lighter too. Used a scotch connector to do it. Works fine, mine are also on a toggle switch which I built in. As for questioning LEDs over neons I think that the neons give off a brighter light personally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
LED's and neons give off different types of light. Get neons if you want a big spread of light, or get LED's if you want a narrow angled beam. My old car was fitted with over £2k's worth of LED lighting and I prefer them better than neons.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
i just hooked mine up directly to the battery, is this wrong? lol
They are on a switch.
Not really mate, just means there not on a fused circuit but cant see a few lights doing any damage.

i wired mine up with cig lighter, brown was earth black was +. if i didnt use that i would use the radio wires.
Confusing that is considering most things now brown is live, i almost wired my amp up onto the negative the other week because its brown, good job i double checked.

I suppose if you wanted you could also wire from the bulbs that are behing the heater controls theres a live supply there and thats switched too.

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
LED's and neons give off different types of light. Get neons if you want a big spread of light, or get LED's if you want a narrow angled beam. My old car was fitted with over £2k's worth of LED lighting and I prefer them better than neons.
lol why spend that amount of money on led lighting for a car?:laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts