All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright ive got a 1.2 corsa b trip 1996 n reg nd reading the proformance stats its abit slow compeard to my m8ts cars ie 1.2 mk1 clio nd fiesta 1.3 mk4 any idears on how to cheeply get abit more proformance that dosent involve getting a cone filter as i am already buying one !

·
Registered
389 Posts
if you read the other threads we've already had this question a thousend times . im not being funny or out but thats what they are there for. :thumbs_up: exhaust, air filter (or drill existing) give it some redex a service etc only little things really or a engine transplant which i wouldn't recomend if you have just passed or haven't got money for insurance other wise its prison if you dont declare it . . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chears m8 but i aint passed yet test is next month cant afford a engine trasnplat altho i could probobly do it ma self serviced it saturday nd am lookin at an exhaust but gotta w8 to pay inshurence stuff off and pass ma test first of all but chears anyway

·
Registered
447 Posts
imo, your best of learning to drive properly and get road experince once youve passed. then after some time decide what needs doing to your car ;)

im not saying you cant drive, im just saying get some experience with a normal car, before you attempt to turn it into a rocket :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dunt wana turn it into some sort of road goin rally car lol just want it to go abit ol w8 a year or so to buy a 1.6 sport or summet along them lines chear anyway

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
be longer then a year, insurance is stupid. also dont bother with a cone filter there ****e mate

·
Registered
393 Posts
tuning the small-capacity engines (1.2 and 1.4 8v's) is pretty demanding and needs a lot of in-depth work to get any satisfying results.
simple things (cone / panel filters, exhausts and thorough servicing etc.) are good for confidence building and getting familiar with what-does-what-and-why type knowledge, but doesn't really improve performance in the way that a good porting and gas-flowing work on the head will.
most people will go for an engine transplant, less in-depth work involved and larger performance gains, less risky (e.g. port imbalance = runs like a sack of ****e) but they are generally more expensive than diy-tuning.
at the end of the day, its down to what you want to do and how much money you've got.

·
Registered
389 Posts
another way is to get all your engine polished inside pistons etc(i dont mean mr sheen though haha) or re-boured into a 1.3 maybe a 1.4 dunno how much you can take off to be honest but would need bigger pistons and is costly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
the 1.2 and the 1.4 share the same bottom end, crankshafts and con-rods, only difference is the bore dimensions. tbh, it'd be less work to swap the 1.2 head onto the 1.4 block, maybe with the 1.3's camshaft before tuning the ports to suit.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I heard fitting Nova parts could considerable increase performance, on the smaller 8v engines, such as the 1.3 SR camshaft, GTE manifold etc. Dont take my word for it though, this is what i was told.

·
Registered
393 Posts
one of my mates at work owns a 1.4 nova (project car) with a 1.3 cam and 1.2 injection system and it does work quite well, despite its quirks lol.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Please don't drill your airbox, or get an unsealed air filter. A panel from such places as K+N will claim a 2-3bhp incease. In truth unless you spend the £300on an enclosed system you are unlikely to see any performance increase. Having said that there are plenty of better ways to spend £300. You are looking to cheaply tune your engine. Free modifications that will improve performance include stripping the car of all weight you don't exactly need. This isn't always pratical though, compromising comfort is not always ideal. I could sit here all day and talk about the different ways to tune your engine. But i feel that it would not be adventageous to you without a specific budget and any restraints you may have....insurance wise and other.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Graham you seem to have a bit of knowledge on this, I would like to hear which methods you are meaning?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Graham you seem to have a bit of knowledge on this, I would like to hear which methods you are meaning?
well he said many methods depending on price, so i guess the methods he would suggest to improve performance would vary on price. If you dont have a budget, he means there are infinite ways of making your car quicker.

my opinion is that if you want speed, buy a bike.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah i agree with Martin, whats wrong with drilling your airbox?

·
Banned
56 Posts
As far as being specific towards the corsa B i'm afraid my knowledge is fairly small, however at the end of the day an IC engine is universal and most mods as such apply to every car. Obviously some do not at all, some need extra work compared with other engines. The popular and arguably the best tuning methods are FI...If god had given us atm P of around 2 Bar as opposed to 1 we could have some seriously fast cars lol...however we have to deal with what we have been given, as such turbocharging and supercharging are popular methods of improving performance due to the fact they are easy to obtain, easy to install (relatively) and give impressive "pound for power" ratio. If the sole purpose of tuning your car is to get more power (lets be honest...99% of people this applies to) then FI is always the winner. Cost...well doing the work yourself and buying second hand parts...you could do it for as little as £800 ish....possibly more. On the otherend of the scale you could spend every penny you earn and you could still get something better.
You can go about changing the internals of the engine or modifying the internals. Re profiling the cams can give gains 10-15bhp or so...you may loose low end torque but if your into modifying i assume revs will generally be high (apart from when setting of...obviously)...Skimming the head will give greater compression ratio increasing power...although its not a case of just getting the dremel out the cupboard its precise and the surface finsih requires specialst tooling. A restrictive air inlet (one that bends or narrows) heats up the air making it less dense...less air less power...on the other hand you could say a narrowing inlet will speed up the air...although this is the case it's still beneficial to have little restriction....that is why they are a popular modification. Additionaly ITBs with a custom manifold is a very nice modification IMO, Polishing and porting are popular improoving air flow and reducing the friction of the pistons without reducing its compressive capbilities.. requires professional work though, not just a case of running a load of grit through the intake...(it has happened in the past ha ha)....A less restrictive exhaust and manifold will allow gasses to escape faster improoving performance, the manifold should have branches of equal length and ideally for performance purposes remove the CAT. Altering the fuel map will also improve performance giving extra fuel to burn reduces economy obviously but improoves performance.....don't think you can just flood the chamber though there's a point at which the vapour and fuel can't mix and the reaction slows down reducing power...it's a technical process.. Many more methods of improoving performance little things like increasing fuel pressure (makes it react with more air more fully...if that makes sense) the list is almost endless. Sadly though with emmision regulations its difficult to tune as you would like to without breaking the rules...but it's still very much do able.
Most people on here will be looking to gain BHP spending little money. (as i expect) £250 on induction £500 on a manifold £300 on exhaust £300 on cams and a remap would see gains of around 30-50 bhp....but you have just spent £1700....not exactly good pound for power....but these are the most common mods due to them being quick to install and quick to buy. NOS is cheap and despite its FAF reputation it's a good mod if you use the right kit. Engine transplants for small engined cars are the best thing to do if you have a half decent budget...but then insurance will rape you...

My advice....drive a slow car cheaply until the insurance comes down.

If you can't wait for that long, and just want some bolt on mods for a little performance, go for the above exhaust, induction, manifolds etc etc....thats if your doing mods month by month...if your not worried about insurance and save up go for a bigger mod like FI or transplats..

For £400 ish ITBs for 15-20hp are an excellent mod

1 - 20 of 24 Posts