All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd stick this in here as the astra owners club help section is shocking, also since these engines are similar someone might know the answer.

It's had a rough idle for a few weeks, a bottle of injector cleaner (redex alternative) seemed to sort it out, but it's still a bit hit and miss. I can also sometimes smell the petrol on startup, also a little bit of white smoke out of the exhaust after a cold start, which does disappear once its warm after a few minutes.
It doesn't feel that limited in acceleration, but then again it doesn't feel miles quicker than the one litre at times which is worrying.

I was thinking EGR valve, but can anyone shed any light on it?

Its the 1.6 16v x16XEL. EML hasn't been on once since I've owned it and yes, the bulb is working. :p

Thanks

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I thought I'd stick this in here as the astra owners club help section is shocking
You can say that again! Post a question about a car that won't start: 1 reply. Post a thread about 'Wut u tink of my new sid repeeters LOL': and it will get 3 pages. /rant

Anyway, I had some serious problems with the EGR on my x18xe1 when I first bought it. EML very rarely came on (if it did it would only flash for half a second) but 50% of the time, when I put the clutch in to slow for a junction, the engine would just stall out. A rough idle could well be explained by a sticking EGR. Basically, it should open under partial throttle to allow some exhaust gases back into the intake. On idle, this would muck up the fuel/air mixture, so the EGR should close. If it sticks, the mixture is wrong and the car struggles to idle. That's my theory anyway!

You can either buy a new EGR (about £60 for a delphi one form ebay, have only heard horror stories about the cheaper ones) or you may be able to blank yours off. That's what I did on mine, but as you have a slightly different engine I can't be sure.

You get a beer/coke can, open it up, remove the EGR valve, cut around it on the beer can to make up what is essentially a solid metal gasket, then put the new gasket between EGR and engine, connect the EGR as usual to the electrics and voila. After I did that, the car hasn't stalled once, and it drives better and gets slightly better mpg. The EML didn't come on either...

... though saying that, my EML did come on for EGR after about 2 years. At this point I replaced the valve with a new one but it made no difference, so not sure if its just my ECU. Best you're made aware I guess.

White smoke out the exhaust is normal when cold, especially on a cold day. I haven't seen mine doing it over the summer though. If it's lots of smoke, it *could* point towards head gasket I suppose, which could also explain poor idle and acceleration.

As for ICV, I know my engine doesn't have one, but not sure about the 1.6s. It may be part of the throttle body, which often gets gunged up and could use a clean. On mine, you just have to remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body, then use a cloth soaked in wd40 or carb cleaner to clean the throttle body and butterfly valve. You can remove it completely if you want to do a really good job.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can say that again! Post a question about a car that won't start: 1 reply. Post a thread about 'Wut u tink of my new sid repeeters LOL': and it will get 3 pages. /rant

Anyway, I had some serious problems with the EGR on my x18xe1 when I first bought it. EML very rarely came on (if it did it would only flash for half a second) but 50% of the time, when I put the clutch in to slow for a junction, the engine would just stall out. A rough idle could well be explained by a sticking EGR. Basically, it should open under partial throttle to allow some exhaust gases back into the intake. On idle, this would muck up the fuel/air mixture, so the EGR should close. If it sticks, the mixture is wrong and the car struggles to idle. That's my theory anyway!

You can either buy a new EGR (about £60 for a delphi one form ebay, have only heard horror stories about the cheaper ones) or you may be able to blank yours off. That's what I did on mine, but as you have a slightly different engine I can't be sure.

You get a beer/coke can, open it up, remove the EGR valve, cut around it on the beer can to make up what is essentially a solid metal gasket, then put the new gasket between EGR and engine, connect the EGR as usual to the electrics and voila. After I did that, the car hasn't stalled once, and it drives better and gets slightly better mpg. The EML didn't come on either...

... though saying that, my EML did come on for EGR after about 2 years. At this point I replaced the valve with a new one but it made no difference, so not sure if its just my ECU. Best you're made aware I guess.

White smoke out the exhaust is normal when cold, especially on a cold day. I haven't seen mine doing it over the summer though. If it's lots of smoke, it *could* point towards head gasket I suppose, which could also explain poor idle and acceleration.

As for ICV, I know my engine doesn't have one, but not sure about the 1.6s. It may be part of the throttle body, which often gets gunged up and could use a clean. On mine, you just have to remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body, then use a cloth soaked in wd40 or carb cleaner to clean the throttle body and butterfly valve. You can remove it completely if you want to do a really good job.

Let us know how you get on!
Thanks! Some good info there, appreciate it. I'll try a few bits and see what happens. :thumbs_up:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds AOC quite amusing at times. :laugh:

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
EML has to be on for more than few seconds, sounds to my like it could be missing on one of the cylinders, which could be down to a few things from plugs,leads,coilpack etc. are they all sparking?

That was just my first fault

Reactions: David

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EML has to be on for more than few seconds, sounds to my like it could be missing on one of the cylinders, which could be down to a few things from plugs,leads,coilpack etc. are they all sparking?

That was just my first fault
It seems to running absolutely fine once its got going its just the early morning start when it seems to rev erratically. It does feel down on acceleration but I don't know if thats just because its a heavier car. Obviously it's still quicker than the 1 litre. I got my dad to drive it and he said its got some poke in it, he didnt experience any issues. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid as far as the acceleration goes.

It did rev up to 2.5k this morning for no reason though on the cold start for the first 2-3 mins of the journey once slowing at junctions etc...

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
you said redex helped, and that its misfiring. i think the two are related. it sounds liek an injector issue, get them cleaned.

Reactions: David

·
Registered
1 Posts
you said redex helped, and that its misfiring. i think the two are related. it sounds liek an injector issue, get them cleaned.
agreed. if your getting smoke and petrol smell on start up its sounds to me the injector nozzles are leaking overnight.
there will be excessive un atomised fuel in the cylinders which won't burn correctly causing the smoke for a bit.
and lacking power too. would def get them checked out. leak off test and go from there.
but as with these modern day motors its never that cut and dry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts