All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi found the fault with my no starting corsa..well hope i have took off rocker coever and could almost lift the timing chain off the sprockets, and couldnt get both cams to point outwards at TDC so presume it has jumped a few teeth, hence compression of 180 on all cylinders. So I have brought a new chain kit and sprockets and the tools, BUT reading the good old haynes book it mentions a new bolt for the cankshaft pully wheel and taking off the sump so i presume a new gasket is needed here? non of which are supplied in any of the kits.....do i need to change these? planning on doing the job over the weekend so need to get bits tomorrow..please help if you can...thanks

·
Banned
140 Posts
Timing Chain

Never removed the sump yet and done loads off chains, just be carefull removing the cover, have not changed the pulley bolt on most of them, make sure its tight when putting it back, thing to watch out for is the two collet guides some times they drop out, they must go back in the holes they came out off as they line the cover up for the oil pump.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I didn't bother with new bolts for the crank or the cams.

I did drop the sump and put it back with a new gasket, but I wanted to take it off anyway to clean it out. It made locating the crank locking tool a bit easier as it is a pretty precise fit and fumbling about down a dark hole to tryto get it in while you waggle the crank around (oo-er missus) sounded like a bit of a chore - but plenty have done it, so it must be possible.

I gather the main point for dropping the sump is to ensure a good joint at the junction of the sump gasket & timing chain gasket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Thanks of advice, one thing when you locate the crank pin is that TDC on compression stroke as i have read that if the cams dont line up it could be on the down stroke. My cams wont line up as they have slipped so just want to make sure I get timing right..

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Do so the lobes on no. 1 are pointing outwards, or as near as you can if they've slipped a bit. You can just loosen the sump if you want to avoid any pressure on the locating dowels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All running ...but

yep a but again, new chain and sprockets fitted and it started lovely. only thing is when I accelerate quite hard in second and third I get a sort of held back feeling from the car as if someone is taping the brakes on and off..do you thing the timing may be slightly off? Also when stopping the revs drop rally low then pick up a bit before stablising will the ECU sort this out over time.
thanks

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
did you use the locking tool?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
did you use the locking tool?
As above - and did you turn the engine several times with the plugs out before final checking of the timing? I've seen quite a few with new chains where the timing slips very slightly. One funny thing they do is to show a camshaft code on opcom but not show the engine management light - which proves the system isn't foolproof. I've only ever seen that on engines that have recently had a new timing chain fitted - and always a slight adjustment of the timing sorts it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts