All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to start car to charge it, and too late battery dead. So removed battery to charge, and heard water sloshing about :rolleyes:

I know batterys contain water, but now it can be heard, does that mean mine has lost some?:confused:

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
it sounds like it just needs topping up, easy done, it says d-ionised water but if you boil some and let it cool it just as good, top it up and then charge it up. disconnect it before you do anything!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery's in garage at moment do disconnected! What does the water do inside the battery? electric baffles me! Will it be obvious how I top it up, if I have a good look at it

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Its acid and deironised water but if the cells are nearly empty dont even bother filling them just get a new battery

The water/acid can be heard when the cell walls break down after a few years usage

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
the water gets extra hydrogen ions when the battery is charged and becomes acid (i know this is a very simple version) then the acid holds chemical energy, simple battery explanation.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only had it about 8 months:/

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see, thought you mean the clamps lol. I will ahve a gander once its charged! Thanks all

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If it's only 8 months old and losing electrolyte then you need to find out why. Either the battery is cracked - in which case you'd have noticed the acid eating away at the paintwork and battery tray. Or the electrical system may be overcharging. The battery gets hot and the electrolyte evaporates off.

Some batteries are sealed and cannot be topped up. But if yours has removable plugs take them out and top up with deionised water to about 5mm above the level of the plates.

Edit - don't charge it until you have checked the level of the electrolyte. If it's low you could damage the battery.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did drop the battery a few days back, I take it I have recently fooked it up. Seeing as I havent run the car, I probably wouldnt see the crap on the try Taurus? Oh and I have no receipt

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I did drop the battery a few days back, I take it I have recently fooked it up. Seeing as I havent run the car, I probably wouldnt see the crap on the try Taurus? Oh and I have no receipt
Oh dear - that doesn't sound too good. Well inspect it carefully, but my suspicion is that it's damaged internally. In which case a replacement is the only real solution.

Don't take risks with lead acid cells, they may only be 12v, but they pack a lot of amps and the acid inside can do great damage and injury if they are mistreated. I'd advise erring on the side of caution with them.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's on charge now:/

Just looked at it doesnt apear to be on that can open, will try find link on internet for it

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Doesnt look like there are any cells ontop that you can take off, it might be one of the ones taurus said that are sealed and can't be topped up

·
Registered
752 Posts
aww.. its only a small battery :p
hmm.. looks like one of those maintence free types.
heh, i dont like those kind.. i like to be able to take things appart.
*he says when the one on his car is a maintence free type*

i guess theres nothing much you can do with it.

but try this.. local scrap yard (my answer to all car problems i know) if they are like my one they will let you swap the battery. to them its just lead. so a swap is good.
they will have a big pile of them and often "cars that need a new battery to pass MOT but fail the MOT on somthing else" will have a new one on. you can bag a battery thats like a month old for a swap.

i do this alot, as we have an electric fence (we keep chickens) and we run that off a car battery... but the frost kills them.. hehe

give it a try. worst that they can say is they dont do it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts