All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well jim and i wondered who would be posting a thread first out of the 2 of us on how to fit bonnet lifters if we got stuck and looks like its me :laugh:

I have gotten the bolts in ready to fit the lifters themselves and can get the lower end on and the pin which holds it on correctly in but i can't get the pin at the top end in. I think its because the top end of the strut is not correctly on and i'm not sure how to sort this.

Any ideas?

Here are some pics of what i've done:

Lower clip in:

Angle at which pin in bonnet sits at:

Strut on bonnet pin:

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been thinking about it a bit more.

When i put top one in fully the strut angles towards the middle of the engine bay. Am i meant to put that clip in then move it around till it goes on lower bolt and put that clip in?

·
Registered
138 Posts
aint bothered trying to fit mine yet as i think im gona try get the anodised, rather than that ****ty chrome look,

just kkep the trial and error on the go steve,
one thing that has poped to mind is try it on the other side, your saying its pointing into the engine bay from that pic so if it was on the other side in theory it should point out to the wing??

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Steve have you checked the bonnet lifter tutorial in the tutorials section?
Not sure but it may be able to offer some help.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmm, this is why im still thinking about getting the lifters LOL

From that tutorial it looks like the ends of the lifters have angled clips on them, rather than ones that point directly to the sides at 90 degrees.

I know that doesn't help at all, think you will just have to do trial and error till they will work :)

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rung supernovas and they said something about moving bonnet down or something and that levels out pin either side and then it will attach. Gonna have a play around with it tomorrow or thursday - i'll get it in the end

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Well my lifters came today so went out to fit them. All was going well until I started undoing the bolt on the bonnet for the lifter to go into and then disaster. The bolt broke clean in two leaving half still in the hole in the bonnet meaning I cannot get it out. Unless someone on here has a way of removing it then im screwed as far as fitting the lifters go :mad:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had the same problem when I was fitting my lifters the didnt line up properly all i did was twist the head till it was in the right place and they have been fine ever since.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woop woop i got them fitted :D

Thought I was going to have to pull the group buy as people seemed to be having trouble with them but got mine sorted just now.

First of all c0m3r you must of overtightened them for bolt to snap - it says in the instructions to only hand tighten them so by all means use a spanner but don't go overboard with tightening them. I have snapped many bolts in the past due to overtightening so these will be the same.

Way i did it was fit all 4 bolts to the car. Then put in top end of strut first fully - this will aim the strut towards the engine. Put your clip in which holds strut in place.

Then just slowly move strut into position of bolt on wing - clip on and place the pin in. Repeat for the other side.

Its maybe not how your meant to do it but if you take your time and move it to wing bolt slowly then it will go on.

I have opened and closed my bonnet about 10 times to make sure they run fine and they do.

If anyone else has problems when they fit them then i will stop the group buy as i don't want members wasting their money.

Will get pics of mine up later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Woop woop i got them fitted :D

Thought I was going to have to pull the group buy as people seemed to be having trouble with them but got mine sorted just now.

First of all c0m3r you must of overtightened them for bolt to snap - it says in the instructions to only hand tighten them so by all means use a spanner but don't go overboard with tightening them. I have snapped many bolts in the past due to overtightening so these will be the same.

Way i did it was fit all 4 bolts to the car. Then put in top end of strut first fully - this will aim the strut towards the engine. Put your clip in which holds strut in place.

Then just slowly move strut into position of bolt on wing - clip on and place the pin in. Repeat for the other side.

Its maybe not how your meant to do it but if you take your time and move it to wing bolt slowly then it will go on.

I have opened and closed my bonnet about 10 times to make sure they run fine and they do.

If anyone else has problems when they fit them then i will stop the group buy as i don't want members wasting their money.

Will get pics of mine up later today or tomorrow.
No think you misunderstood. It was the original bolt that snapped not the one from the lifter. I never got chance to overtighten lol

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
drill it out and re tap the old one mate,
Looks like thats only thing I can do. Gonna have to wait though cos I cant be bothered to go drilling :laugh:

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No think you misunderstood. It was the original bolt that snapped not the one from the lifter. I never got chance to overtighten lol
Ah sorry mate yea never read it properly :laugh:

Man that was a bad start for you :(

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Ah sorry mate yea never read it properly :laugh:

Man that was a bad start for you :(
Certainly was. Should have known it wouldn't go smoothly nothing ever does when it comes to modding :laugh:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well i dont know what the fuss was all about lol,

Got a new bopnnet and tehse lifters today and they were on teh car in about 15 mins no problems, was smooth and easy cheers :D

Shr3k

Any problems me msn is bugsycleave at hotmail dot com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts