All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since driving the car today my boost gauge has started to flash, i turned the car off then back on and it sorted it but now it has started again.
it flashes and the needle doesnt move, last night the gauge started to blink briefly but then stopped and was fine.
any ideas what could cause this? the warning light on the gauge isnt on also what would it mean if the warning light came on?
cheers

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the gauge out of the holder to have a look at the wiring and it seems the connection between the wires and the gauge is the problem as when I move the wire it affects what the gauge does but the wires are all tight with no damage so does this mean I need a new gauge, the connector where the wires plug into seems a bit loose

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can't just be taped up because when I move the wire it never makes the gauge work it only moves the dial and stops it flashing etc so there isnt a position I could tape it in for it to work :(

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
How many wires are coming out of the gauge? Usually there are three, red +, Neg -, and white/other colour for illumination. Can you take a pic or is it in a awkward position?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Wooo, stepper motor! Have you tried placing the plug in on of the other plugs in the gauge as I can see a few ports there. So take the plug out and maybe try another port? Shouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Stepper motor? And there is another plug with wires in not shown in the pic but that goes in one the other 2 sockets
yeah its a stepper motor gauge. Good quality and precision wise its very good. You can get just electronic ones which are rubbish. Basically yours seems like a good quality one in the inside of the gauge. You'll have to have it repaired or buy a new one if thats the case then. just seems like the contacts on the ports need re soldiering. IMO, I could be wrong and it could be wires but if you say they're solid then it's not them.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This now works properly but just wanted to know what the warning light is for? What is it warning me about? As I noticed that when I put my foot down in 5th and get on boost when it hits around 21-22psi the light comes on :confused: then goes off if I let off the revs

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
It's an overboost protection light. Most production cars and turbo vehicles that aren't tuned will never hit anywhere close to 22psi (most struggle to boost past 10psi...)

So some boost gauges incorporate a high boost warning. Usually you can either turn it off or you can adjust it... But some cheaper gauges I guess may lack this feature.

It's just to warn people that they are boosting way too high, and could possibly damage their engine. But don't worry about it, you're not boosting too high, your boost is good, nothing to worry about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts