1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Geebs bear in mind the lock sorround is different on pre 97 and post 97 corsas.
You could either source a later spec lock surround, or go for the older spec opel badges. Look at mine on the boot of my car, it's the older spec badge. (Bodged onto the newer spec surround by the old owner).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geebs bear in mind the lock sorround is different on pre 97 and post 97 corsas.
You could either source a later spec lock surround, or go for the older spec opel badges. Look at mine on the boot of my car, it's the older spec badge. (Bodged onto the newer spec surround by the old owner).
Ok so basically if i'm keeping the current lock surround I should get an opel badge with the black background and if I source a post 97 lock surround I can use the chrome outline version?

Is it easy enough to switch the pre surround to a post one?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Ok so basically if i'm keeping the current lock surround I should get an opel badge with the black background and if I source a post 97 lock surround I can use the chrome outline version?

Is it easy enough to switch the pre surround to a post one?
That's exactly it.

It's a straight swap to switch them over. You unclip the panel on the inside of the boot, then unclip the lock mechanism from the lock, then undo the 3 nuts holding the lock surround in place, and swap with the new one. Then just put it all back together.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Scrapyard maybe? Cheap as anything.

Here's what to look for:

Pre 97 (old) has a circle recess where the vaux/opel badge sits.

Post 97 (new) is smooth with two little lug holes where the newer badges clip into.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
probably best to find someone breaking a corsa thats how i get most of my replacement parts or contact novarob on ebay - guys a genius when it comes to corsa parts lol

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Well if anyone wants to cover the costs of postage I may be willing to swap my post 97 for a pre 97 (must be in immaculate condition though!)

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok decided i'm gonna source a post 97 boot lock surround and get an opel badge. I'm planning to spray the lock surround myself (never done this before so thought it would be a nice small thing to have a go at). Any one able to give me a quick run down on how to spray it? Plan to do it within the next 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
521 Posts
well things you need : 1 can hi build primer (make sure its suitble for plastics)
1 can of paint
1 can of laquer
various grades of wet n dry
start of by rubing the surround down using the course wet and dry an work through the grades of wet an dry untill your happy then prime the surround an when its dry gentle rub down with a fine grade of wet and dry just to key in for the paint and get rid of any impuritiesnext you spray the suround with the paint i recomend doing at least 2 coats but you can do more make sure you rub down in between coats so you get a nice smooth finish then you laquer once this is dry rub down very gentle just to remove impurites use the finest grade for this then polish an your finished

1 - 20 of 39 Posts