All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have just got my rear drums, the shoes and some Hammerite Smooth (Black) to start my little mission this week ready for the MOT next month. Just need to get the 2.0L vented discs and pads sorted out now :thumbs_up:

Painting the drums/calipers tonight (first coat) ready for another coat tomorrow, hopefully will have them on the car (with braided hoses) come Thursday!

Watch this space for pics later in the week :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do the 2.0 calipers swap straight over? an what about the discs?
The calipers swap straight over yeah but you need larger discs (256mm). For the complete brake setup I'm forking out £50 for the rear (drums and shoes), I paid £30 delivered for the 2.0L calipers and now need the discs (£25 the pair) and pads (£13). The braided hoses were given to me by my brother who was going to use them on his Nova but got rid of it...they cost around £40.

Once they're on and worn in, I'm expecting great braking for a tad over a £100:thumbs_up:

Oh, and a pass on the MOT would be nice too after they put them through their paces ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress

Gave the drums a second coat this morning:

Very pleased with the result, should look nice behind my alloys with the space between the spokes being quite sparce.

Stripped down the calipers (took out the pads that novarob0 had left in there for me) and got the drill out :) After blasting them over thoroughly (with a wirebrush cone attachment), they came out looking like this:

It gets a tad dusty as you can probably imagine (if you've never done this before). You might want to do this in an open area or wear a dust mask. Depending on the condition of the calipers, you may get away with a bit of elbow grease and a wirebrush. These calipers needed a really good blasting...just think how much brake dust gets on your alloys (which you would clean probably more frequently) and multiply that by 100 and you might be somewhere close! :rolleyes:

To the painting....after one coat, they look like this:

I'll be applying the second coat tonight after work and picking up the discs and pads tomorrow. Hopefully, if all goes well with my pretensioner replacement and boot popper fitting, I'll have them on the car and will post up pics tomorrow :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
How much improvement do you expect with them drums on the back? I have being thinking of putting rear disks on mine and bigger front disks, just wondering if it is worth it though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear disc conversion is a right bugger mate, with regards to the handbrake etc. Not impossible but a fair bit of work involved (an idea I toyed with but thought sod that! :laugh: )

The drum improvement is merely cosmetic, they're standard drums......I've just painted them to prevent the eyesore rust that will eventually rot the drums if left unpainted. The ones I have on atm are really bad and spoil the overall look of my wheels.

It's been mentioned on the site before that even braided hoses with standard Corsa brakes makes a hell of a difference. Also, the braking is more front end anyway so 2.0L brakes just accentuate the stopping power. 2.0L brakes with braided hoses is a marked improvement although one I needn't necessarily do since I am not running a 'big block' engine (essential if you stick a XE under your bonnet).

So, my main reasons for doing all this is mostly cosmetic.....nice painted (colourcoded) drums behind the alloys on the rear and bigger discs to fill the space behind the wheels on the front. I get added stopping power as a bonus and I've avoided the mainstream colours on purpose (red being the obvious one) just to do things a little differently.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's literally as easy as this:

Clamp your hose
Undo the hose (11mm)
Undo the 10mm Allen bolts that hold the caliper on
Remove the caliper
Undo the Philips screw that holds the disc onto the hub
Remove old disc
Apply copper grease the hub and rear of new disc to stop them binding
Philips screw back on
New caliper back on, do up the Allen nuts
Reattach the hose
Do all this on other side
Bleed the brake system

·
Registered
901 Posts
It's literally as easy as this:

Clamp your hose
Undo the hose (11mm)
Undo the 10mm Allen bolts that hold the caliper on
Remove the caliper
Undo the Philips screw that holds the disc onto the hub
Remove old disc
Apply copper grease the hub and rear of new disc to stop them binding
Philips screw back on
New caliper back on, do up the Allen nuts
Reattach the hose
Do all this on other side
Bleed the brake system
Easy as that kinda :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hardest parts will be undoing the bolts that hold the caliper on and perhaps removing the old disc. The disc fits very snugly onto the hub so you may need to hammer the old disc off if it's binded (hence the copper grease for the new disc to make it easier next time). Aligning the new disc may prove a little tricky but with perserverance it'll go on.

If you've never bled brakes before I'd advise you had someone help that knows how too.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Can see why you have gone for just bigger drums, with the corsa c 1.8 si having rear disks though am I right in thinking it is easier to fit rear disks or is it just as hard?
Still would like to see what your stopping distance is with all this work done to the brakes. What is the actual difference with braided hoses?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Easier to fit rear disks or is it just as hard?

What is the actual difference with braided hoses?
1. It's solid and involves welding and reconfiguring the handbrake amongst other things. You would need the hubs from a Cavalier or Astra (Golf hubs are supposed to be good for this too). It's a lot of hassle and very involved work.

2. Rubber hoses can expand slightly but braided hoses cannot (well nowhere near as much). Therefore, the pressure applied to the pads is better with braided hoses.

cj, will look into it.....see how it goes on the day ;)

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Seems like a waste of all the work then lol I just thought you would be able to put the ones from the 1.8 straight on.
Might have a look into braided hoses.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
out of interest whats the calipers off that you fitted?

this is a pic of a ate calipers which came on the mk3 astra gsi,cavy sri/gsi, calibra basically all the 2.0s

the calipers in your pic are identical to the calipers fitted to my gsi corsa

d

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
out of interest whats the calipers off that you fitted?

this is a pic of a ate calipers which came on the mk3 astra gsi,cavy sri/gsi, calibra basically all the 2.0s

the calipers in your pic are identical to the calipers fitted to my gsi corsa

d
Errr....might have to get in touch with novarob0 then because as far as I am aware, they are 2.0 calipers??? I see what you mean though, the gap looks different.

On the main part it has the following info:

6185 392
CN Delco
GM
48/20

And the following is on the caliper:

6¦108 607 ICN4 Delco

Thank god I haven't bought the discs yet since I specifically asked Rob for 2.0L calipers and he confirmed this when I ordered them from him?????

EDIT: Just written to novarob0 and linked to this thread so he can see it. If he made an error then it would have been genuine......really need to find out the donor car in particular.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
well without a doubt there not the ate calipers fitted to the 2.0 vauxhall range, the only reason i even noticed is because i was told my gsi had 2.0 brakes and it doesnt :( so i need to buy a set now cause the old ones from my donor car are gubbed

d

1 - 20 of 23 Posts