All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a Corsa 1.2 16V Club (1999) today, the brake pedal was going nearly all the way to the floor! What's the most likely reason for this, and how much is it going to cost to repair?

Also the accelerator pedal was very stiff, does it need a new cable or just a drop of oil?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most common cause for excess brake pedal movement is worn brake pads since they need a greater push to catch the disc. Other causes could be low brake fluid level, air bubbles in the brake line or a corroded brake lines. Standard pads wont be more than 20 for a pair, although uprated ones can be sourced for as little as 30 a pair and can be easily fitted at home, as can removing any air in the lines, new lines would maybe cost about 50 but i would recommend it to be professionally fitted. And brake fluid is only a few quid and im sure its dot 2 or 3 (just basically the level of mineral content in the fluid) for a corsa. As for the accelerator if there is a squeek from it it prob needs greased up if not the line has probably been over tightened and should loosen over time but may
wear quicker

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
the acclerator pedal is normally stiff on corsa's, you just get used to it. also brake fluid i would of said its dot 4 or 5.1

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll beg to differ on the brakes a bit.

If the pistons have seized in the bores of the calipers, or the slave cylinders on the drums have seized, then this will cause either rubbing or excess travel on the pedal to connect the pad to the disk or shoe to drum.

One of the other causes can be where the flexible hoses to the calipers or the drums have perished and are ballooning (but this is unlikely to cause as much travel as you say unless under extreme braking).

If the pipes were corroded, it would have been picked up on an MOT but wouldn't cause excess travel, and if the disks have excess rear on them and have a lip on the edges, then sticking a new set of pads in can cause excess travel as the pad has to wear to the shape of the old disk and will have all its biting surface on the lip on the edge of the disk until it has bedded in.

Its most likely air in the system which needs bleeding out which has caused the excess pedal travel which should cost about £30-£40 from a garage.

Tell the owner to sort it out before you hand the money over.

brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water (condensation) as it warms up and cools down and this water lowers the DOT rating which is actually the boiling point of the fluid, and as time goes on a dot 5.1 fluid will drop to a 4.0 and then a 3.0 as it absorbs more and more water with time.

You can use either Dot 3, Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 which are ethylene glycol based standard fluids - don't use Dot 5.0 as its silicone based and they don't mix.

For a car like a 1.2 corsa, it is a total waste of money buying a sintered type pad unless you are going to take it on the track or rallying . The bog standard ones will be fine for regular road use. Get them from your local motor factors, not Halfords as they will be about half the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies - the car was for sale on eBay and it went higher than I was prepared to pay, so it's not a problem any more :)

At least I have a reference point now for when I drive another one, it will be interesting to see how the brakes and accelerator compare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts