All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i wondered if anyone can help

I went to drive off in my car tonight (its been stood still for 2 day), stuck it in reverse and all the car does it lift up when you go to pull away, it feels like one of the rear brakes is stuck.

Can anyone suggest any remmedies

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Funnily enough there is a similar thread to this posted today.See: Here

The suggested solution is to just stick it in reverse and give it a quick drive backwards.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
One of mine sticks if you leave it for 2 days, when i pull off it makes a loud thump like iv hit something. Its fine after that. Just try and ease them off by trying to go forward and backwards

·
Registered
696 Posts
its the handbrake, or your drums have siezed a little, once you move youl be fine.

min did it tonight after being stood for 10 hours :eek:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope car is seriously stuck, breaks wont free wether i reverse or try to go forwards, im gonna check that the handbreak cable is releasing, when i get someone to help me. if its not that might have to take the wheels off get the haynes manual out and have a look at the breaks

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Take the wheels off and give each drum a few good hard hits with a hammer as you try and twist them off.
If you manage to get the drums off you will have to reset the mechanism that pushes the pads onto the inside of the brake drum. It's a fiddly job but if you follow the haynes manual you will manage it ok.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers guys for the advice, and im not gonna do burnouts with my new tyre and rims lol

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok problem sorted, just jacked the back end up to see which rear side the brake was stuck on. then once i found which side it was, removed the wheel and hit the brake till it freed up again, job done. Better than getting a garage to come out and have a look.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Glad to hear you sorted it.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I learned a lesson the other day, alway check the handbrake is off before you assume the brakes are seized and hammer the crap out of them:(

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I learned a lesson the other day, alway check the handbrake is off before you assume the brakes are seized and hammer the crap out of them:(
Ha Ha, yeah probably a good idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
when my mark 2 astras brakes got stuck, i just let the brakes off, put it in neutral, and jumped around in the boot! prob not the most technical way to release the brakes, but it sure worked! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts