All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Took my car to a tyre place to get my tyre checked for a slow puncture. Turns out my locking wheel nut has snapped at the head and the thread part of still screwed into the hub. I reckon the garage are responsible but I can't prove it.

Anyway I contacted my local garage and they said it'll prob take about 2-3 hours to remove it. So I'm looking at £150 for 3 hours labour. I thought it was a right rip off for a straight forward removal. So i contacted another garage and they've quoted me £56 for one hour labour. Has this happened to anyone else in the past?

I asked my dad to have a look at it as he may be able to drill it out for me without the need for me to take it to a garage. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Any of the head left? Pics? Loads of methods removing them tbh. Get a pic

·
Registered
193 Posts
Front or rear?

If it's front you'll have to work with it on the car - unless you want to take the hub off. Drill & stud extractor I would recommend.

If it is rear you can probably take the drum off and work on it on the bench. You should have access to the stud from inside of the drum which may help. probaly still end up being a drill & stud extractor job tho'.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
If just head has snapped clean off, may be able to take wheel
Off.

If so pair of mole grips may be able to remove bolt. That's simplest of ways.

Need pic to see design of wheels and state of the bolt

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a simlar problem. The bit to take off the locking wheels nut had been damaged. I wa talking to the local dealer about it.
To replace the bit to undo the nuts is about £35.
For the locking bit and the bolts it's £35.
I dont know if every dealer has the same price.

·
Banned
885 Posts
If there is nothing of the head left, there will be no tension on the threads, so it should be a simple matter to get out the broken bit.
Take off the wheel and then with a centre punch and a small hammer, make a centre dot close to, but not on the edge of the broken bolt. locate the point of the punch in the centre dot, then with punch held at an angle, tap the punch in an anti-clockwise direction. The broken bit should then screw out.

If the head broke off when the garage were removing the wheel, it is likely that the bolt was over-tightened in the first place, in which case it would have broken, regardless of who was removing it.
It never ceases to amaze me, just how many people (including garages) persist in over-tightening wheel bolts/nuts - They don't do it to other bolts/nuts.

Regards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would give it a go at drilling it out if you or your dad has the kit to try, as log as you get the head off then you will be able to remove the wheel and with no pressure on the remaining thread hopefully a pair of mole grips should remove that. Worst case you give it a go and can't do it then take it to a garage that won't charge too much to do the job.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank for all your replies. The wheel comes off no problem as the other 3 nuts release it. The 4th broken nut isn't holding the wheel on. There is a slight bit sticking out the hub.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Moore grips ?

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Loads of ways o do it tbh. But with limited info now and again, and still no pics it's hard to say

Reactions: ibysmalls
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.