All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

After an old dear reversed into the front of my car on Boxing day i've only just got my car back on the road. The damage was minor, only the bumper needed replacing along with my headlight.

Have driven the car now for just shy of a week and have topped up water, etc and oil is fine.

Anyway Monday and Tuesday the car was tip top fine. Tuesday evening I did a short journey round the corner and noticed that when I pull away in first and at under 15 mph in second, the car seems to struggle to pull away. Once it gets past that its fine. Motorway speeds are also fine.

Any advice?

That is problem One.

Problem two is on my daily 35 mile trip to Camborne my car did the usual struggle to pull away but also began to overheat very quickly. Eventually I had to pull over as the car was about to hit red on the temp gauge.
The list of things I noticed are as follows:

1) The blowers inside car were working but not working on hot very well. It was moderatly hot half the time, other time freezing cold.
2) When engine temp gets to 100 the fan usually kicks in, it didn't which confused me even more.

Once the engine had cooled enough I opened radiator cap and water had gone. Is this due to evaporation or something else as it was only topped up on Thursday and since buying my Corsa 1.6 16v Sport I have never had to change or top up the water and have done much bigger journeys that 35 miles. I just decided to give a slight top up as i was worried the water may have gone off from not being used for so long.

When I filled up the water and drove home, the blowers now worked with v. hot heat and were not sporadic. As for the fan, I am not sure if it works or not as the engine didn't need it to switch on.

So my problem is this.

A) why is the car a bit funny in first/second - will some reddex sort that out?
B) Will the overheating thing happen again or is it just a weird happening due to car not being used for a while?

Any help/advice will be good as I need to be in college tomorrow for a test without fail!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
over heating could be something simple like your thermostat or it could be worse, look into that first. is it smoking a lot? like loads of white smoke? and how many miles it done mate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Hi

Its done about 75,000.
It wasn't smoking when i pulled over.
It's just wierd how mon and tues it was fine yet today its not.

It was just as normal when i filled it up with water but i'm worried the problem may happen again.

Any ideas on the first gear problem as well???

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
hmm they say change a clutch at around 60,000-65k but depends how you drive it tbh, maybe get a mate to push up + down on the clutch pedal an look for any signs under the bonnet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent, cheers fro you advice.

I just find it strange how the water went and then when i filled it back up again it was fine.

The sluggishness in first/ second is only temporary and isn't that much of an issue, if anyone can tell me how to sort it then i will. But what happened today is really strange with the overheating!

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
mine did it when i topped up my water after resealing my thermostat housing, then after a few days it sorted it self out again...

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Stu, an educated guess of mine is that the sluggishness is related to the overheating. Try not to drive it until you find out the problem for definate as you may end up doing some internal engine damage.

A quick test for you to do is to check if anywhere is leaking. Look all around your engine bay, on the floor, around the radiator etc.

If you cannot see anything, start your engine and let the car idle and get up to temperature then check again whilst it is running. You may have a leak somewhere that will not become apparent until it is pressurised.

Start with them and see how you go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
legend

Cheers for your help everyone, seems I have a leak from the water for the radiator. The two hoses at the top are ok, it's leaking from underneath somewhere as I have poured water into the chamber and watched it decrease fairly quickly.

So will get it sorted!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
No probs, keep us updated on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
possibly oil temp sensor, could have broken when the car was hit this would cause your car to overheat possibly resulting in the sluggishness anyways its a possibility

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gutted

Just took it to a local garage - they think head gasket!

Have no way of affording repairs so .... anyone know how to give a tutorial on reparing it myself???? he he

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Figured out that the water was draining down from the chamber - so it must have been the lower pipe leading from the water chamber bit (I know thats technical).

Anyway the garage said that if the head gasket goes the pressure in engine is lost so that is why the water is escaping so quickly and therefore not a leak. He also said that another tell - tell sign is that the exhaust is blowing white smoke signalling the head gasket as well.

i want to do the repairs my self however as a garage will con me poor!

Will need all the help I can get as i am clueless with cars!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Friend of my girlfriends is or a mate of my dads but that is back in Bristol and don't fancy driving car 150 miles when it's dodgy to go see my dads mate, maybe stick with down here!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts