All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone could help me find out what this smell is before i take it to a garage.
Ive got a Corsa C 1.0l 12v Petrol with 78000 miles, and recently it started smelling like it was burning when i was at anything over 60 for long periods of time but now its starting to do smell alot more even when im only doing 30 around town. Ive checked the oil, water etc and all is ok.

Dont know if it could be related to the smell but the timing chain has been getting noisier lately, could it be the timing chain wearing out as this is common with the 1.0l?

Thanks,

·
Banned
885 Posts
What does it smell to be that is burning?

if it is an 'oily' smell, check for oil leaks, especially if it is getting onto the exhaust system, which will probably leave a black deposit at the point where it is contacting the hot exhaust.
When there is a leak, it seldom drips straight down, but is either blown to another location, or drips on to one part, runs along it for some distance and then drips down again.

If it smells like exhaust gas, you may simply have a leaking exhaust system.

If the smell is more 'acrid' it is just possible that you have an electrical fault.
Are there any electrical items that do not work?

Are there any fluid leaks of ANY sort?

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It smells like a rubbery smell but Ive checked the engine there was a bit of oil around it so there must be a small leak, ive wiped it so hopefully the burning smell goes, just have to wait and see if it still smelling tomorrow, will let you know.

Thanks Walksall

·
Registered
42 Posts
Top left of engine, there will be what looks like a bolt going into the engine with a wire coming out. It's your oil pressure switch and is a common leak point and always smothers the cat in oil. Tenner to replace. Timing chain, check your oil level because of the leak, perhaps change it to see if it quietens the chain down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil pressure switch is fine, and ive checked the exhaust mounts and they look ok, i didnt smell it today so wiping the oil off the engine might have done the trick.

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.