All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if I written in the wrong section.

My girlfriend is looking to buy a Corsa soon and more specifically a semi automatic of around 2001 registration.

Are there any members on here that could give me a few ideas on common problems/faults to look for on either Corsa's in general or specific to to the semi auto model? Any tips etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Sam.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
What engine?

I don't know much about the automatic Corsas but if its the 1.0 or 1.2 make sure the chain is in good condition (have a good listen to the engine).

Make sure the gearbox is very smooth, if it judders walk away.

Test the steering make sure the EPS light comes on when you turn the ignition for a few seconds and make sure its not heavier than one side than the other.

Check for the usual boy racer accident damage.

Taurus has written a very good guide for this, its mainly about the B but it is relevent for all cars.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
This was written re. the B, but most of it applies equally to the C

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/buy-used-corsa-14382.html

On the C model check the steering is precise, runs true with only a very light touch on the wheel (ie isn't pulling to either side) and has no knocks or clunks. The steering gear isn't the best and it's expensive to replace.

As JD says, listen to the engine. The all tend to be a bit rattly, knowing how much is acceptable is a matter of listening to several. You'll soon get to spot the bad ones. The main thing is, you need proof of a good service history. The majority of them haven't been looked after - be prepared to walk away from most of the ones you see.

The advantage of the semi-automatics is that usually they've belonged to older people who don't rag them and tend to have them serviced properly. But don't take anything for granted.

The 1litre engines can break the front exhaust manifold or downpipe due to vibration. Unless you need the 1l engine for insurance reasons I'd go for the 1.2 at least.

Check the carpets are dry, the C has a few weak points where water can get in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts