All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi recently got myself a c20let corsa that needs work most of its done now but needing some expert advice on engine side of things i know my fair share on xes but not to much on lets. firstly its got eds phase 2 chip with the power switch installed heres a pic
can anyone tell me what its about?
the car has fmic and looks to be red injectors(saab reds maybe?) with standard fpr there is strong smell of fuel occsonaly and its very hefty on fuel. its got standard tophat and still running amal valve. car boosts at 0.5 over.boosting at 0.7.. which i think is to low? can anyone point me in right direction on what to do?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Yes it is boosting too low, that sounds like standard boost to me, which makes sense as its still using the Amal valve. If its DEFINATELY running phase 2 chips the bin the Amal valve plumbing and run a manual boost controller to increase boost.

Phase 2 chips are happy to hold 0.9bar and over boost at 1.3 bar. So aim for this figures.

Be aware though that the standard let FPR is set to 3bar. To run the boost recommended at phase 2 you want to have the fuel pressure set at 3.6bar. You risk going lean if you turn the boost up too much without the fuel there to back it up.

Tbh it sounds a lot like it is t actually running phase 2. It's a standard ecu. No one fits phase 2 chips and then keeps the Amal valve lol.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Oh also the switch switches between preset boost levels. I forget what the actual figures are but it enables you to switch between high boost and low boost. Bit of a gimmick really. Not many people tune a let to be able to make it go slower on lower boost... Random idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
okay ill open up ecu tomorrow and see but it has the black and white wire for.that switch coming.out of it. can the boost not be set to 0.9 without boost controller? thought thats what it does controlls boost? also with the red injectors i wouldnt need to up fuel pressure as they are.bigger injectors i thought?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
bigger injectors just have the capacity to flow more fuel, they wont increase the pressure at the rail.

also yeh i see what you're saying, if it has the power wheel wired in then it's probably a given that it does have eds chips in, just strange why they'd leave the amal valve there and not just plumb a boost controller in and be done with it. Amal valve on stard lets was simply so the ecu had a safe control of boost and could decrease it if it detected knock etc.. Gernerally when you want to run higher boost than standard you dont use the amal valve, you keep it plugged in to keep the EML off, but you dont run any hoses to it, you fit a cheapo boost controller instead.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh i see.. so i need adjustable fpr aswell?. well i think the reason for that is cause.the boy took bits off it like the enalrged tophat and so on so possably ran a MBC at some point. so what could be causing the overfueling?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
do you have standard injectors to swap in? generally bigger injectors overfuel if they havent been mapped in, and theres no requirement on pahse 2 to run bigger injectors. So it could just be that..

And yeh, an adjustable fpr is perfect, prefereably something with a gauge on so you can see what pressure its running.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no i dont have standard ones to swap in. ill try get a hold of some.. standard are yellows yeh? wonder why reds were put in then

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
cos there usedto be a roumour saab reds gave loads more power on a stock let. you dont need saab reds till stage 3iirc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right opened up ecu today to find it does have the eds chip but its phase 1 not 2. and the plug for the "power switch" had on of the.pins half pulled out probably roughness of.previous owner.. or somthing. so that would permently keep it on low boost? am i .right in saying its still boosting lower than its ment to am i right in saying its ment to hold. 0.9 overboost at 1.2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts