All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need to know some more info ( as always). My last MOT said I needed a new cambelt but i didnt have the money to have that done so I need to do it soon when I get paid.

My cars the corsa b, firstly will it completely mess up my engine if it goes? I heard it causes a lot of problems if it breaks.

Secondly, how hard is it to fit?

Lastly, how much are they and where from? I dont want to buy expensive ones from vauxhall dealer, or is that my only solution!?:shocked:

·
Registered
9 Posts
it will cause damage if it goes, If its an 8v then they usually dont cause too much damage but ye it is hastle.

i wouldnt advise doing it if you dont know what your doing.

if you have a mate that works in the motortrade then get them to get the part as it will work out alot cheaper.

Not too sure on price. £60ish including the tensioners and stuff maybe?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool. Where can you buy them from easily? Vauxhall dealerships only solution yeh?

I have friends who have fitted them before I think.

It's a 8v 1.2 me thinks

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
make sure its the cambelt they fitted as if its fitted one tooth out it will go bang mate.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really, in that case for peace at mind i want to get the garage to fit one... How much will it cost for the part fitting etc you reckon at worse case scenario?? then I can compare with my local garage and others near me...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks guys! Ill ring round tomorrow and see what i get quoted. Let you know! Should be able to fit in a day i presume? with couple hours notice......

·
Registered
224 Posts
its a 2-3 hr job, wont cost much about £80. just go to a reputable garage as a mate of mine went to a back street garage and they didnt do it right and guess what happened when he went down the motorway.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Basically the cam belt or timing belt as it is otherwise known synchronises the movement of the crank with the movemnt of the cam/s. If the belt were to break then the pistons would be traveling up the cylinder and the valves would completely out of time, normaly the piston will strike the valve and cause it damage through bending the stem and also damaging the seat and lip etc etc. It will also damage the crown of the piston. If it goes on the motorway at 4k rpm ...then you will need a new engine basically ireparable damage to the internals.

If it goes at the traffic lights then you may get away with it. One thing you musn't do is start trying to turn the engine over again as this obviously will be causing more damage.

Now replacement.

A belt itself isn't expensive, but whilst you're at it you may as well change a couple of other bits and pieces. The difficult part of the job is making sure you tension it up correctly. A special tool is required. It's not something i would reccomend attempting yourself.

As for 2-3 hr £80 ...?

A garage will normally charge between £45 and 100 an hour anyway so it's not going to be £80

Around £160 including parts and VAT i'd guess

Plus it's only an hour hour and a half job max if you are competent. Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts