All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I would like to remove the camshaft of my Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 12V 2003 model. There is a very loud tapping noise at idle speed and even when at fast idle, it rattles. Sounds like a sewing machine. It must be the camshaft fault and cant be the hydraulic tappets. I would like to change the cam and would like to know how to go about it. I think its the exhaust cam. Should I change the rockers as well? The engine does not consume any motor oil, it runs pretty well and there is no smoke. In other words, the engine is ok except for that loud tapping noise.

Thank you and would appreciate very much if someone could advise on how to go about it.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Check where the noise is coming from first - either use a stethoscope or the screwdriver test

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/track-down-engine-52693.html

It could be the timing chain - so check that area as well.

The camshaft would need to be very worn for it to rattle as wear is usually taken up by the hydraulic lifters. Chances are if the cam is worn that much the lifters and valve gear will need inspecting - certainly if replacing the cam replace the lifters.

In terms of procedure follow the Haynes. You'll need the timing kit to set it up as there's no marking on the engine itself.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Petrol-Timing-Kit-Vauxhall-1-0-1-2-1-4-Chain-Sealey-VSE243

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Its definitely not the timing chain mate and its definitely the camshaft. I will be replacing the camshaft and the rockers only and not removing the timing chain so I dont think I would disturb the timing or anything like that if I only remove the camshaft. Will removing the camshaft only interfere with the timing hence the car will not be able to start.

I brought the car to the workshop and it would be a hefty bill so I said to myself I might as well do the job and put the car for sale. Hopefully changing the camshaft might rectify the problem.

Please advise if I only remove the camshaft and that is the exhaust camshaft and change the rockers it will not interfere with the timing. How do you remove the cam from the gear which goes over the timing chain.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The exhaust camshaft can be removed without affecting the timing if you are careful - it's the inlet camshaft that carries the phase disc. But lock the inlet to make sure.

Removal of the sprocket is simple - they bolt onto the end of the camshaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sir. I will try and do it tomorrow and will ask you questions and advice if i do get into difficulty. Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Taurus. I noticed that the camshaft area is pretty much dry. Should it be like that. Could there be a fault with the oil pump. There's no warning on the dashboard meter (low oil pressure). Thank you.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
A dry camshaft won't necessarily be caused by low oil pressure - it's more likely to be a blockage somewhere. In which case the problem is more likely to be the hydraulic lifters aren't getting sufficient oil. One problem with those is that if someone uses a cheap oil filter it can break up and block the oilways - clearing it out is of course a devil of a job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply sir. I need one final advice from you. One of the cam rockers is broken and that is where all the noise is coming from. All along I thought it was the exhaust camshaft but when I opened the rocker cover I noticed one of the cam rockers is broken. I just want to take out the cam and change that broken rocker only and cant seem to find any resources which tell me how to remove the cam and change that knackered rocker.

I am not a mechanic and can't afford to go to the workshop and get it done. I know how to troubleshoot faults but do not know how to repair them. I want to sell this car after that work is done. It does not need to be a thorough job. I bought this car recently for my daughter and as you can see by the photos the engine was very poorly maintained by the previous owner.

Please advise me on how as I think you must have some mechanical background. Please let me know today :~)

Thanks!
Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts