All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as titled, can anyone recommend a decent place to get my bumpers/wheel arches/side trims sprayed from plastic to a paint finish? I am based in Bracknell, can anyone recommend somewhere reasonably near?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yeah you'll easily pay hundreds if you take it to a sprayer, whereas if you buy the materials yourself you should be able to do it for £40-£50 ish. There are quite a few tutorials on here on how to spray various things.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Use baby oli mate. It works a treat and doesnt cost to much. Been doing it on mine for the past year. I did mine last in march and still are as black as new. :)

-Rocksta

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
Baby oil in any supermarket/poundshop/boots/superdrug lol? but it wont give you a paint finish, it just makes them black, the other solution is get a heat gun on them! i did mine a year ago and they are still black!

B.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I think i'm gonna try this heat gun method. I'm curious to what the heat does to the plastic to make it turn dark again and if there are only so man times you can do it?

I tried pernament black dye, but it's flaking off the front bumper after a few weeks. If heat gun method doesn't work i might try a few coats of Satin black for the OEM look..i.e not too shiny.

To the people suggesting just to spray them with paint, surely you'd need to spend a fair bit of time sanding them down so they're smooth?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
over time, the bond in the plastic molecules become weak and start to deteriorate. once you heat it up, they re bond and become as good as new. start off far then move in until the plastic just starts turning black.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I tried the heatgun method which wasnt too bad, but it didnt look even enough, and im very particular.

My alternative was a £1.50 bottle of black shoe dye (the liquid in a bottle with the sponge under the cap) from Asda.

Here is a pic of my bumber and a bit of my arce. I know its not the best pic but dont have a recent picture showing the arch. I used the boot dye on both bumpers, and all arches

An here is a pic of Bradders wheel arch done with a heatgun

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I've always wondered why on some Corsa's (mines included before the bumper dye) do the wheel arches go to very light grey (almost white on some ones) but the black plastic on the bumpers (post 97 i've noticed more) never seems to fade the same way.

I'll try removing the dye with meths, then try the heat gun. Might do it twice a week for a few weeks and see if i can get it darker than Bradders.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Will get a proper pic of mine up tomorrow, that photo dont do it justice, trust me they are very dark black :)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Heres a pic of the new Exhaust Trim and to show how black I got the wheel arches

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I think Bradders only used the heatgun.

I used a £1.50 bottle of shoe dye, and everyone that see's the car asked how I got them so dark :)

If you look at the bit of the rear bumper just below my rear light, you can see an area I missed and how grey it used to look. Thats because I couldnt get under the light without taking the bumper off or the lights out and couldnt be bothered to do either at the time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.