All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all. Sorry for the long story

Corsa C (1.0 litre) 2003

Three days ago when driving, the Engine Electronics light came on and the car lost power. Managed to drive to an Opel workshop.

The Opel mechanic used his computer to look for the fault. I didn't see the code. He asked if we had recently changed the oil pressure sensor. We said yes about a month ago. He then looked at the wiring. He said with this model car oil can travel along the wiring and affect the electrical contacts causing the fault.

He then disconnected 3 connections and blew them out with air and brake cleaner. He looked for any oil but there was none in the contacts. The problem went away. He pointed out the connector on the top of the engine was the one that affected the power.

An hour it happened again. We had brought some cleaner and compressed air so I did the same trick. So far all is OK. However the Exhaust Emission light now remains on. But the car has power.

Here's my questions.

1. Is this the case that oil can travel on the wires/cables?

2. Does the wiring need replacing? The mechanic suggested it might. If so can the wiring harness be purchased on eBay? It seems like it is a complete cable system?

3. Any other suggestions or advice please?

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Geoff its unlikely oul in the loom would effect anything unless it gets on the terminals or finds its way into the ecu or any electric component, like maf sensor etc....i don't think you need a new wiring loom...but i would try to keep oil out of those places, don't think plastic is perisheble like rubber is...as long as you don't get petrol on it...Fred.

Dear all. Sorry for the long story

Corsa C (1.0 litre) 2003

Three days ago when driving, the Engine Electronics light came on and the car lost power. Managed to drive to an Opel workshop.

The Opel mechanic used his computer to look for the fault. I didn't see the code. He asked if we had recently changed the oil pressure sensor. We said yes about a month ago. He then looked at the wiring. He said with this model car oil can travel along the wiring and affect the electrical contacts causing the fault.

He then disconnected 3 connections and blew them out with air and brake cleaner. He looked for any oil but there was none in the contacts. The problem went away. He pointed out the connector on the top of the engine was the one that affected the power.

An hour it happened again. We had brought some cleaner and compressed air so I did the same trick. So far all is OK. However the Exhaust Emission light now remains on. But the car has power.

Here's my questions.

1. Is this the case that oil can travel on the wires/cables?

2. Does the wiring need replacing? The mechanic suggested it might. If so can the wiring harness be purchased on eBay? It seems like it is a complete cable system?

3. Any other suggestions or advice please?

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Fred

I looked yesterday and the connectors seem clean of oil. So i guess no oil is migrating along the wires from the oil pressure sensor. But it sounds like oil migration can happen? Can it?

So is no oil the question is why the electronics light came on, then went off and now the Exhaust Emission light stays on?

I'll try your trick of the brake and throttle peddle so to get the code

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yes Geoff good idea try a code test....Fred.

Thanks Fred

I looked yesterday and the connectors seem clean of oil. So i guess no oil is migrating along the wires from the oil pressure sensor. But it sounds like oil migration can happen? Can it?

So is no oil the question is why the electronics light came on, then went off and now the Exhaust Emission light stays on?

I'll try your trick of the brake and throttle peddle so to get the code

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there as far as i can see it refers to throttle pedal sensor and a Lambda sensor, what i would do is write the codes and meaning down and delete the codes and see if they come back, now how to do it, well first of all i would disconnect the battery for 10 minutes see if that does it, if not you need to get hold of an eobd code reader, or an Op Com unit....the op com unit does about everything on vauxhalls...

But you might get away with a cheap eobd reader off ebay...if the codes keep coming back you may need to fit a throttle pedal sensor and a lambda sensor, the codes for lambda sensors refer to bank one and bank 2 etc, well ignore bank 2 because you only have a bank one, unless you have a V engine, sensor 1 is the front one and sensor 2 is the one at the back of the catalytic converter...hope that helps...good luck from Fred.

Hi Fred,

I did the test. I got 5 codes after which the light stayed off which i assume means there's no more codes

The codes are

I found a list of what the codes mean at the following

http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/show...-the-pedal-test-and-what-the-Fault-codes-mean

But what prefix would i need for my codes. Can i assume "P"

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts