All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a corsa 2004 1.2 16v.

Just passed an mot in february. Anyway.

I checked the oil cap under it out of curiosity, And found a little bit of white gunk, So checked and read it could be head gasket. How much would a garage charge to check the head gasket to see if it's ok.

Want to also get them to check and resync all tyre pressure and they tyres look abit flat, check timing and timing belt as the belt looks quite new, Also want them to check suspension because when i go over a bump or a tiny pot hole or or those little speed bumps those sharp ones, something it's quite a bang or rough feeling.

So in general how much would a garage charge me to do all what i want done. would it be expense??? rough estimate would be fine.

I checked the oil myself and its at the top of the dipstick indicator which i guess is a good thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just bought a corsa 2004 1.2 16v.

Just passed an mot in february. Anyway.

I checked the oil cap under it out of curiosity, And found a little bit of white gunk, So checked and read it could be head gasket. How much would a garage charge to check the head gasket to see if it's ok.

Want to also get them to check and resync all tyre pressure and they tyres look abit flat, check timing and timing belt as the belt looks quite new, Also want them to check suspension because when i go over a bump or a tiny pot hole or or those little speed bumps those sharp ones, something it's quite a bang or rough feeling.

So in general how much would a garage charge me to do all what i want done. would it be expense??? rough estimate would be fine.

I checked the oil myself and its at the top of the dipstick indicator which i guess is a good thing.

Thanks
Forget about head gasket,a little bit of gunk inside the oil cap alone is not a sign of head gasket problem.Most get a bit of it in the cold damp weather or doing short runs,it will just be a bit of condensation.
The belt that you see is not a timing belt,it's an aux belt that drives the alternator and water pump.The timing on your engine is driven by a chain which is not visible looking at the engine.If your tyres look a bit low just go to a filling station and put them up to about 30 psi that should do it.
As for the other issues,go to a reliable indy garage and ask to check them out.
You may be just worrying over nothing much at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget about head gasket,a little bit of gunk inside the oil cap alone is not a sign of head gasket problem.Most get a bit of it in the cold damp weather or doing short runs,it will just be a bit of condensation.
The belt that you see is not a timing belt,it's an aux belt that drives the alternator and water pump.The timing on your engine is driven by a chain which is not visible looking at the engine.If your tyres look a bit low just go to a filling station and put them up to about 30 psi that should do it.
As for the other issues,go to a reliable indy garage and ask to check them out.
You may be just worrying over nothing much at all.
Thanks, your probably right. everytime i buy a car i get some sort of anxiety over me.

But am guessing it will be alright. "better be lol"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the garage to check, Seemed like the passenger side coil spring has snapped and was making for unpleasant driving.

And hes gonna do a oil change or engine flush or both not sure. Is this good or bad??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Got the garage to check, Seemed like the passenger side coil spring has snapped and was making for unpleasant driving.

And hes gonna do a oil change or engine flush or both not sure. Is this good or bad??
Good they have found the cause of the suspension knock,a new coil spring will sort that out,not a big job.The oil and filter change will do your engine the world of good,I do mine every 5000 mls or 12 months which ever is the first.If they haven't been done recently put a new set off spark plugs in,and that should keep you running fine,makes a big difference to the running with a good set of plugs.
Best of luck,and don't worry to much,just get in drive it and enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeez,

£60 labour, oil filter change, new coil spring and engine flush and the oil priced at £30 lol better be good oil and not cheap grade.

came to like £142 lol was shocked almost skipped a heart beat..

·
Registered
41 Posts
jeez,

£60 labour, oil filter change, new coil spring and engine flush and the oil priced at £30 lol better be good oil and not cheap grade.

came to like £142 lol was shocked almost skipped a heart beat..
Sounds about right to me for what you asked for.. Why you asked to have a look at the timing chain I have no idea but least you know all is good and thats worth the price alone if you are going to do decent mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds about right to me for what you asked for.. Why you asked to have a look at the timing chain I have no idea but least you know all is good and thats worth the price alone if you are going to do decent mileage.
peace of mind i guess, im quite an anxious person and like to know everything is good working order.

But car seems to be running good now.

·
Banned
885 Posts
There are some very small oil passages in these engines, which can become blocked by any sludge that may be freed up when using flushing oil, for that reason alone, I would never use flushing oil.
Another good reason not to use it, is that it is never possible to get every last drop of oil oit when you drain the oil, this means that any small amount of flushing oil left in the engine is going to contaminate the new oil when it is put in.

These engines thrive on regular oil and filter changes, 5,000 miles between changes, should be regarded as a maximum.
If you don't like the idea of draining fully synthetic oil out as often as that, then use semi synthetic.
There has also been issues with using SOME aftermarket oil filter elements, they too have been known to break up and block oil ways - It's far safer (and probably no dearer) to use a genuine GM 9Vauxhall) filter element.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.