All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. just wondering if anyone can help me, my corsa be it missfireing and juddering alot, and generally not running smoothly. i have replaced the HT leads, put new spark plugs in, replaced the air filter. and it is in desperate need of an oil change. can anyone give me advice, or know what i need to do to get it to stop? any help would be apreciated. thanks.
samo

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i would change the fuel filter too.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When does it start juddering? Mine juddered just before my head gasket went :shocked:
it judders most of the time, mainly when i am setting off from a junction or a stand still of some type.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
it judders most of the time, mainly when i am setting off from a junction or a stand still of some type.
That's what mine did for a few weeks before my head gasket went - is there vibration through the clutch while the car is at a standstill?

·
Registered
713 Posts
i'd deffo say headgasket is on its way out. check the state of the oil and water for any signs on the two mixing.

look for white gunky residue under the oil cap and for signs of oil in the water tank as a shot first:thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd deffo say headgasket is on its way out. check the state of the oil and water for any signs on the two mixing.

look for white gunky residue under the oil cap and for signs of oil in the water tank as a shot first:thumbs_up:
yeah, the oil and water have mixed, there is just a horrible white build up of gunk like you say, thanks i think you have solved the mystery. is there anything else that could be wrong, and how much is it to replace the head gasket, if you know? thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
sorry to hear it dude, only problem youve got now, is whether its only the head gasket thats gone, and not something more severe. but the only real way to tell is to get the gasket replaced as a deffo and sooner the better.

as for cost wise i havent got a clue, best bet is to ask Lyd's, as her head gasket is in the process of being repaired, dont think its exactly expensive for the gaskets themselves (can get them off ebay and other car places etc) but its a whole heap of work to get it done, i mean Lyd's whole engine has been removed from her car.....so if its a garage jobby, gonna be quite costly for the labour im afraid. unless of course you know a mechanic etc etc

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Yeah if there is a dodgy mayonnaise-type residue on your oil cap then the head gasket has gone.

Garage job is about £300+ because there is so much labour involved. My gasket set cost me £25 for ALL the gaskets & the kit included oil seals too. If you have a 1.2 8v engine, they're quite easy to remove. If you've got a Haynes manual it's quite straight forward (from what my dad's told me - I'm rubbish with mechanics, I'm just the novelty Haynes manual assistant). :D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
status of car

am now wondering if it is the head gasket that had gone, because the other day i took it for a blast up the motorway, and over 70mph it behaved so much better, and now after that it seems no where near as bad as it was. so am going to put a decent pair of HT leads in it, as i have those cheap orange halfords one in it. and then see how it is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
mayo on the oil cap does not mean the head gaskets gone, the mayo like jizz is oil and water which can be caused by condensation so if you use the car on alot of short jouneys you can get this. and if your head gasket is gone you wont nessersely get this mayo, you will get this if the gaskets gone between the water and oil ports. but if the gaskets gone between the cylinder and water port or cylinder to cylinder then no mayo!

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you have alot of pressure in the header tank then head gasket gone

·
Registered
713 Posts
the mayo like jizz is oil and water which can be caused by condensation so if you use the car on alot of short jouneys you can get this.
sorry but...excuse me????????? yes the mayo like jizz is water mixing with oil, but say that again?? condensation? in oil? short journeys? what's half the main selling point of small-engined cars? oh right, short journeys....and besides, we did say its a good sign, didnt say it was definitive....

woah woah this could be a sensor problem before we all condemn the Head gasket.
a sensor problem wouldnt allow oil and water to mix so there's still a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
476 Posts
so corsa hobby, dont you think condensation can get in the engine? and at wat point did i say that was a problem?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I do quite a few shorts journeys back & forth to work. I never had the mayo-type residue on my oil cap until my head gasket went. :thumbs_up:

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
yeah, the oil and water have mixed, there is just a horrible white build up of gunk like you say, thanks i think you have solved the mystery. is there anything else that could be wrong, and how much is it to replace the head gasket, if you know? thanks
sorry i missed this bit of the thread.
water in the oil means either the head is cracked or the gasket has gone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if it look like this:

then i think i have the same problem. have checked the water all seems fine at that end

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do quite a few shorts journeys back & forth to work. I never had the mayo-type residue on my oil cap until my head gasket went. :thumbs_up:
doing short jouneys doesnt mean you will get this, but if you do have mayo on the oil cap it does not mean the head gaskets gone!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts