All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I bought a 2003 Corsa 1.7dti sxi recently. After a few days, I drove to Silverstone and noticed that the car started shaking at around 45-50mph. I tried to drive through it (up to 80mph) but it just got worse.
I had all 4 wheels balanced (Standard 15" alloys) and checked for bumps/unevenness etc. but the problem was still there. I took it to a different garage today and had the fronts re-balanced. Problem still there. Took it back to garage and they swapped the nearside front (which they thought might have been slightly buckled) with the spare and the shaking is still there.
This is really frustrating. Can anyone out there please advise as to what this problem might be.
Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi all,
I bought a 2003 Corsa 1.7dti sxi recently. After a few days, I drove to Silverstone and noticed that the car started shaking at around 45-50mph. I tried to drive through it (up to 80mph) but it just got worse.
I had all 4 wheels balanced (Standard 15" alloys) and checked for bumps/unevenness etc. but the problem was still there. I took it to a different garage today and had the fronts re-balanced. Problem still there. Took it back to garage and they swapped the nearside front (which they thought might have been slightly buckled) with the spare and the shaking is still there.
This is really frustrating. Can anyone out there please advise as to what this problem might be.
Thanks for reading :)
First 3 things I would check, balancing which you say you've done, the tyres to see if they're put on the right way (if they are directional) and 3 get the tracking done, if it still happens after that then the problem may be elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
What tyres are you using - some seem to balance OK on the machine but will cause vibrations when fitted - especially budget brands.

Check your suspension, steering gear and particularly shock absorbers.

·
Banned
885 Posts
If the problem was due to 'out-of-balance', you would, as you suggest, have been able to drive through the out of balance phase.
The out of balance phase will start again at double the speed (not that I am suggesting that you try this!!!) Also, the larger the diameter of the wheel, the lowed down the speed range will any out of balance become noticeable.

As your problem became worse with an increase in speed, I would strongly recommend that you check it out before further driving. As said above, warped brake disks could account for the problem, as could failing wheel bearings or suspension problems.

Regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.