All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, bought a corsa a few days ago and since its started to stall after turning it on. the revs fall to near zero and it stalls. when i start it again with a little gas it works fine but there is a ticking sound from the engine, i've uploaded a video on youtube (its upside down) but you can here the sound, the car has also started to feels sluggish as well and the power dips higher and lower whilst accelerating, especially in 2nd gear. the exhaust emmision light came on yesterday but it had turned off in the morning. quick summery below,

- stalls after turning it on
- ticking sound from the engine
- feels sluggish and the power dips
- exhaust emmision light turned on during day and was off in the morning

link to video and vehicle specs,

corsa d, 1.2, 2006, petrol, serviced with new spark plugs 2 months ago,

any help would be greatly appreciated

kind regards

anila

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I hate making any suggestions off a video clip as it's impossible to get a sense of direction - and I always use a stethoscope to track down noises before I commit myself - but with that disclaimer it sounds like the timing chain tensioner may be worn. That would allow the timing to vary enough to cause the issues you're experiencing plus cause the noise.

With those issues can you return it to the place you bought it from? Have you any warranty with it? Even a private sale has to be fit for purpose so if it was a private seller I'd still take it up with them.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Talk to Trading Standards or Citizens Advice. If he's a dealer then he's obliged to ensure the car is fit for purpose.

Sold with no warranty suggests it might not have been the wisest of buys - most cars that age would have at least 3 months from a reputable dealer.

If the car has developed a fault within the first few days after the sale you have a case that says it wasn't sold in a fit condition. It's not unknown for unscrupulous dealers to put things into the engine which will mask engine wear for a few miles. I'm not saying he has done this, but it happens.

Take advice as above. Act quickly as you need to register the problem as soon as possible if you're going to try to get him to take it back and refund your money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm also experiancing the exact same problems in my 1.4 corsa c . when excellerating in 2nd or 3rd when you get around 2500 - 3000 rpm the engine seems to 'cough'. and when the engine is warm and you try to start it sometimes runs splutters and stalls?

·
Banned
273 Posts
Aren't you entitled to a refund on faulty goods these days? Whether its a private sale or not? Isn't it 14 or 30 days?

Get on to that quickly. check on line, it will surely tell you what your rights are

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
i'm also experiancing the exact same problems in my 1.4 corsa c . when excellerating in 2nd or 3rd when you get around 2500 - 3000 rpm the engine seems to 'cough'. and when the engine is warm and you try to start it sometimes runs splutters and stalls?
Start own thread, conflicting answers and harder to establish what's been done for original poster. I'm sure you will get plenty of help, just a lot more clear if its seperate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.