All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.8 sri 2004

Hi,

I recently sent my car into Vauxhall to investigate a steering pull problem to the left where I had to keep the wheel turned slightly clockwise to keep the car going straight. All the tyre pressures and tyre treads are ok, Vauxhall examined the car and noticed there was some toe-in for the front wheels so they suggested a 4 wheel alignment to correct it. After taking the car off them following the 4 wheel alignment I noticed that the steering wheel was off-centred (the car was now going right when the steering wheel was dead centre with no rotation). They corrected this with a few adjustments to the steering column and there is no more pull, and now I have noticed a new problem.

This problem occured well before the recent bad weather and slippery roads we are now seeing. When I turn the steering wheel exactly one rotation clockwise or anti-clockwise, I can feel the front 2 tyres slipping and losing all traction on the road and the steering wheel suddenly feels extremely loose. It's gets so frightening even if I'm turning the wheel whilst the car is barely moving. This occurs on all road surfaces (tarmac, gravel, paving stones etc) and I have tested this on level ground, slopes to the same effect.

After I complete the turn and unrotate the steering wheel back to the centre the tyres regain traction and I can feel the wheel stiffens and returns to normal.

Has anyone had this problem before? Can you suggest anything that could be causing it?

I have taken this car into Vauxhall for various steering issues in the past, and my main complaint with all Corsas is the poor handling. I am particularly annoyed given the amount of money spent and time taken to send this car into Vauxhall only to see new steering problems that nobody can really diagnose.:mad: I am also worried about driving this car now that the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

Any help would be appreciated!:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had a similar issue with mine pulling to the left had new front tyres put on and tracking done, but it still pulled to the left I since have done stabilizer bars and track rod ends had it re-tracked it's now spot on.

So I need to ask did they re track it again after there last adjustments?
Hi thanks for your reply.

No they didn't re track it again however it doesn't seem to pull anymore and the car seems to go in a straight line when the steering wheel is centred. Go over bumps throws the steering all over the place however this appears to be normal for Corsas so I won't even go there...

I do know that just over a year ago they replaced one of the track rod ends and re-alligned the car, and the car had a service recently with a cambelt change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts