All Corsa Forum banner

Cars eat your money!

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Lee 
#1 ·
Well i had my tracking done yesterday and blimey what a difference! It now drives in a straight line, so thats £25 well spent :laugh:

But they suggested as i have 17's and am lowered 40mm i need to get the camber sorted so i need some camber bolts;

Never knew bolts could be so expensive :eek: £85 from Regal;

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=1219

so what started as an advizery on my MOT (new front tyres as low on tread)

I now have had tha tracking down, need to get Very expensive bolts (so the new wheels dont wear so fast) might as well get new brack discs as one is warped and new pads while i'm there, while the wheels are off they are being refurbed (choice) then new tyres on........hopefully thats it for a while :laugh:

New tyres arrived last night (bargin, £150 new from ebay ;))

See less See more
#2 ·
the reason why the bolts are so expensive is because they are pretty difficult to machine and they have to be made from high-tensile steel, which is difficult to cut in the first place.
i remember seeing modified front arms / ball-joints that can do the same thing somewhere, but off the top of my head those are going to cost more than those bolts.
you'll more than likely have to get the tracking done again if you change the camber angle, if you move the angle either way, its going to push / pull the wheel hub from straight ahead and you'll scrub off tyres again.
a warped front disc should fail an MOT test anyway due to poor brake efficiency and run-out, when i bought mine, both rear drums were warped and the front discs were starting to warp! lol!

#3 ·
oohhh nankang tyres, wouldnt be putting them on if you want to be able to go round corners, especially in the wet:laugh:

#9 ·
On the subject of camber bolts, I have a cheaper bodge you can do laura.
On your standard struts the top hole where the camber bolts are meant to go, get it enlarged (by drilling). Then go to VW dealership and get some Golf camber bolts, cost about £12. Then take your car to a garage and get them to set it up for you on a camber machine.

With my fk coilovers the top hole was already enlarged (it's how they come) so I decided £12 was better than £85.
Cost me £10 to get it set up and it's been that way for more than 6mths now with no problems.

I've attached a little crap pic to try to explain better.

Attachments

#11 ·
On the subject of camber bolts, I have a cheaper bodge you can do laura.
On your standard struts the top hole where the camber bolts are meant to go, get it enlarged (by drilling). Then go to VW dealership and get some Golf camber bolts, cost about £12. Then take your car to a garage and get them to set it up for you on a camber machine.

With my fk coilovers the top hole was already enlarged (it's how they come) so I decided £12 was better than £85.
Cost me £10 to get it set up and it's been that way for more than 6mths now with no problems.

I've attached a little crap pic to try to explain better.
Fab Lee thanks for the great advice ;) Dont suppose you have the part number for those bolt??? :D

#10 ·
the nankangs should be ok for standard road use, just dont try taking corners too quickly, and next time, save your pennies and buy some good rubber.

never ever ever ever ever ever ever underestimate the importance of having good tyres, and when i say good, i mean a reputable brand/tyre, not the amount of tread on the tyre, the boy that bought my corsa crashed it due to the fact that the front tyres were utter sh!t, brand new tyres, but he may as well have been running slicks because the tyres were absoltuely shocking, just slides all over the place

#12 ·
the nankangs should be ok for standard road use, just dont try taking corners too quickly, and next time, save your pennies and buy some good rubber.
http://www.epinions.com/Nankang_NS_1_Radial_Passenger_Performance_Tire/display_~reviews

Just been reading some reviews and i think your maybe a "brand name" person that follows fashion :p

The only bad reviews were HIGH powered car owners that really shouldnt be looking at budget tyres anyway. And a guy complaining about their performance on cornering that drives a VAN!

All in quite good reviews ;)

#19 ·
yes, and also others.

theyre certainly not the worlds worst budget tyre, but i was just making a point.

and the case i referred to, those were not nankangs, some other budget tyre.

as long as they feel ok when ur driving then thats the main thing :)

and lol @ cj :laugh:

#17 ·
Laura I have budget tyres and they're rubbish. They're ok for dry normal use but it can be a tad scary in the wet. When I bought my cars it had some well named tyres on (can't remember what), they were bald and the car cornered really well. Only lasted an hour though then the rear tyre popped lol.

#25 ·
Bargain that compared to Regal.
Let me know how you get on with them.

#26 ·
£150 for 4 means what, £37.50 for each tyre. I've got Yokohama A359's 195/45/16 on my car, and they are very grippy, even in the wet, if I remember rightly I got them for about £40 - £50 each (just over £100 for 2 plus a couple of small things). To be honest, for the small hike in price, it is definitely worth it I'd say. Just trying to say, Yokohama are a well known brand, up with Toyo and other high performance tyres, yet the price isn't THAT much different. But I've never used Nankang tyres so I won't judge lol.

#32 ·
You never really realise the difference between the tyres until you upgrade, then you wish you would've done it much earlier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.