All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just driving to college this morning when the plod decided they would like to pull me over and ruin my day!! They got the tint gun on my window and said i needed a percentage reading of 70 or higher...3 tests...23.4...23.1...23.7...b******s!! They dont bother testing the back ones so I would advise driving with tinted windows down when going past police. I have got to go to court in the summer now because of this.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bin driving with them nearly a year though now an it was the last place I expected to get caught, on the way to college at 9 in the morning.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was the law changed mate? and I didnt even have them done, they were already on the car when i bought it.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
say it was done before the law changed.. might keep you out of trouble abit.
Window Tints

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.

The Law:

You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.

If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.

Why was this law brought in?

The reason this law was introduced was that there was a serious accident between a motorbike and a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.
also tell them that you bought the car with the tints..

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Still though, its why I cant decide whether to get tints or not since you cant have front tints and just back tints might look uneven. Dont want to be constantly looking over my shoulder or driving with windows down.
And when in court say they were already on the car when you got it, you wont be able to keep them but it may stop you getting a harsher punishment.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Best to try, they can still just say ignorance is not an excuse though, going to depends on how they are feeling, how he presents himself and how many boyracers driving dangerously there are in the area.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they are. Well apart from the windscreen. The front ones are tinted 77% so i found out this morning, but I can see from looking at my car that the back ones are even darker. And yes I'll say that they were already on the car and that I wasnt aware of what the law was. I cant say i had it done before the law was changed because I've only been driving a year.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep exactly. And i was never going to know either until I got stopped was I?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I was just driving to college this morning when the plod decided they would like to pull me over and ruin my day!! They got the tint gun on my window and said i needed a percentage reading of 70 or higher...3 tests...23.4...23.1...23.7...b******s!! They dont bother testing the back ones so I would advise driving with tinted windows down when going past police. I have got to go to court in the summer now because of this.
Oops not good. They'll demand you change all your windows now.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
In court 'ignorance is not an excuse' so saying you didnt know the law is not going to help you. However saying they were already on the car when you bought it and that you didnt know they were illegal since you believed they let the right amount of light through, may make them more leniant.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeye they said this morning that if the ministry or someone was there they would have had the power to say I cannot go any further unless they were off, but they weren't (thankfully) and they said they couldnt demand me to take them off there and then, plus when they asked whether it was was film or not I said I didnt know, even though I do know they are film. Dont think i could face them ripping my tints off in front of me :(

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rrrr I'm gutted about it! Car ain't going to look as good without the front tints!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts