All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have. Corsa CDTI 1.3 55 plate and put fuel on it. Drove approx 17 miles and the needle moved to empty real quick. Few mins later the car was revving at the top yet my speed was about 20 mph and the inside of the car filled with grey smoke. I pulled over, switched off the engine and got out but the car was still revving away. Seriously thought it was going to blow up !!!

Had noticed for sometime that there was a kind of blueish smoke everytime I started up, pulled off a traffic lights and changed gear had a strong smell of diesel inside the car. Took it to my local Vauxhall garage, who always work on my car and they continually told me that there was nothing wrong. They couldn't smell diesel inside the car while driving and that smoke was just excess diesel burning off.

Have now had 2 mechanics tell me different things. One says it is fuel pump/injectors and the other it is the fuel leak off. Have had the O rings replaced and thinks the seals/gaskets are missing from the fuel pump.

Any help would be grateful as need to get my car on the road. Also not mechanical and ton matters worse a woman with no engine knowledge.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Hi,

I pulled over, switched off the engine and got out but the car was still revving away. Seriously thought it was going to blow up !!!
That is a common problem with them if they are used round town a lot. The diesel particulate filter (DPF) clogs, the engine tries to flush the filter which results in unburnt diesel entering the oil sump, the oil is then mixed with diesel and the sump level rises to the point where the engine begins to ingest its own oil and you get a runaway engine which often runs by itself until it does literally blow up.

You can't stop the engine since there's no ignition on a diesel, so long as it has air and fuel it will run until it's consumed all its oil which is when it goes bang. The two usual ways to stop it is to try to stall it or to block the air intake.

If the DPF is clogged it needs sorting and the oil replacing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts