All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so before I start I'd like to mention I know absolutely nothing about cars/engines.

So the other night I went out and when I went to start my car again the battery was dead, after a few tries it started again. The next day it fully died so I purchased a new battery and it worked fine. But apparently I also had another issue.

The oil light was on, I checked the dipstick and it was relatively low (on the low marker) so I topped it up. I started my engine and the oil light is still on. I did a small journey in the car (5 miles) and when I stopped I could see smoke coming out of the engine. When I popped the hood it felt hotter than it usually would and their was a burning smell.

Basically the syntoms are burning smell. Smoke. And oil light are on even tho I have full oil. Car runs fine. No strange noises and the drive feels the same as always.

I've read around and I'm assuming that the issue is either the oil pump. Oil sender or oil filter.

If anybody could help me out and give me any advice I would really appreciate it.

Edit: I should probably mention that the car is a 1998 s reg corsa 1.2. 16v.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Okay so before I start I'd like to mention I know absolutely nothing about cars/engines.

So the other night I went out and when I went to start my car again the battery was dead, after a few tries it started again. The next day it fully died so I purchased a new battery and it worked fine. But apparently I also had another issue.

The oil light was on, I checked the dipstick and it was relatively low (on the low marker) so I topped it up. I started my engine and the oil light is still on. I did a small journey in the car (5 miles) and when I stopped I could see smoke coming out of the engine. When I popped the hood it felt hotter than it usually would and their was a burning smell.

Basically the syntoms are burning smell. Smoke. And oil light are on even tho I have full oil. Car runs fine. No strange noises and the drive feels the same as always.

I've read around and I'm assuming that the issue is either the oil pump. Oil sender or oil filter.

If anybody could help me out and give me any advice I would really appreciate it.

Edit: I should probably mention that the car is a 1998 s reg corsa 1.2. 16v.
9/10 its the oil pressure switch located on the front of the engine on the side closest to the belt. I have seen the odd one with a collapsed/block oil filter or oil strainer. Personally id go for a switch first. They are only about £10 new

·
Banned
147 Posts
Hi. firstly My knowledge is mostly with engines designed in the 1920's and 30's so feel free to disagree.sorry but severe smoking and burning from the oil filler is not good news but possibly you just spilled oil on manifolds and things when topping up. I'd change the oil pressure switch. If this works keep an eye on burning for a while. If not, also change oil filter. If this doesnt work either DO NOT DRIVE,even to a garage. It could result in a wrecked engine and towing charges. Get the actual oil pressure checked on a gauge. Either borrow or buy an oil pressure gauge that can be fitted in place of the switch. It only need be jury rigged temporarily for testing.Or call in a mobile mechanic.By testing at home you are less likely to be tied to one garage or option. If there is little or no pressure I personally would then try using flushing oil.You drain the existing oil, fill with flushing oil and run the engine for a while then drain off and refill with ordinary oil.This may clear a blockage, or may simply be an extra risk and a waste of money.I dont know this engine. Best of luck

Also see the post by lilclo1990 on 24/01/2014. This could be your problem in a nutshell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for your help everyone

I've changed oil filter and emptied and refilled oil completely. Oil light has gone off but there's smoke still coming. It looks like its Somewhere under the pressure switch from near the bottom of the engine but I'm not sure. Their is oil under there too so I dunno if I have a leak or something. Shall I change the pressure switch even if the light has gone off or is it something else ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I changed the filter and the pressure switch and the oil light and the leak have gone BUT I still have burning and smoke. Im not totally sure but it might be radiator ? Is that the thing with the silver cover over it at the front next to the dip stick ? It seems like it's coming from under there now. I dunno what it could be but this car is really getting on my nerves now :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After taking a look under the light I think it's coming from the exhaust manifold (big square silver metal cover over it ?) I had my egr valve blocked some time last year btw and even though the engine management light should be permanently on because of it recently the light went off and I'm not sure why ?

·
Banned
49 Posts
After taking a look under the light I think it's coming from the exhaust manifold (big square silver metal cover over it ?) I had my egr valve blocked some time last year btw and even though the engine management light should be permanently on because of it recently the light went off and I'm not sure why ?
Are you sure the camcovers not leaking and running onto the exhaust causing it to burn off and smoke.

How was the EGR blocked off. Ive heard of people using thin metal and over time the EGR punches a hole in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.